Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What oil can I use to to substitute the 5wt and 15wt? Is synthetic motor oil fine? And does the left side of the fork have to be different viscosity for the top and bottom? Or can I keep them both 5wt?

Attachments

·
ready to ride
859 Posts
I bet those where some nice stiff forks you have been riding. ;)

Reminds me I should should probably get my rear one serviced before the season really gets started. Sadly though I can almost just buy a new one for what it will cost to get the rear serviced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha they've been stiff as a board. I love mtn biking but was never into figuring out how the components worked and maintaining it until recently. Now I know! But this baby is still good, just need some oil and I'll be back tearing it up!

·
Banned
266 Posts
Id say your Atleast five years behind on maint. Is that a Reba? Go to a motorcycle shop and get some 5wt fork oil for $15. Half the cost, plus you get more. I used 10wt synthetic motor oil on my Reba. Off the top of my head it was only for lubrication, 5-15cc?? Consult Seams web site for make, model etc...

You should really consider a main seal and rebuild kit as well. How does the stanctions look? Any scarring? How many miles are on the fork? Six years is a long time with no tlc.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
What oil can I use to to substitute the 5wt and 15wt? Is synthetic motor oil fine? And does the left side of the fork have to be different viscosity for the top and bottom? Or can I keep them both 5wt?
On the damper side, you need suspension oil at the correct weight, you can get reasonable stuff from any moto shop for fairly cheap.

For the spring side, synthetic motor oil or suspension oil is fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Id say your Atleast five years behind on maint. Is that a Reba? Go to a motorcycle shop and get some 5wt fork oil for $15. Half the cost, plus you get more. I used 10wt synthetic motor oil on my Reba. Off the top of my head it was only for lubrication, 5-15cc?? Consult Seams web site for make, model etc...

You should really consider a main seal and rebuild kit as well. How does the stanctions look? Any scarring? How many miles are on the fork? Six years is a long time with no tlc.
Hey thanks for the info, the stanchions are in good condition still look fairly
new for being 6 years. I want to say about 300 miles of mtn biking but out of the 300 I've only been to 4 serious trails the rest are weak flat trails around VA Beach.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

This is where it spends most of its time during the year haha. I live in Va Beach, so the closest decent trail is in Williamsburg, which is freedom park, then their a bunch up in Richmond and nova. So it really doesn't have too many "serious trail miles" on it.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts