Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
pres that rocks

Looks great the clamp for the front derailleur housing stop is genious I'm assuming everthing works great. You ridden those SX wheels yet? Their pretty stout looking might have to ditch my XL's this year. Looks great. Ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Clamp on cable stop?

Just for the sake of discussion; where would one find a "clamp-on cable stop"? I have a Socom that works just fine, thank you, with a 1X9 setup and I also have a 6.6 so I'm not jonesin' for a 2X9 Socom. But just for giggles, I googled "clamp on cable stop" and there ain't none out there! It would seem easy enough to mod a FD clamp by brazing (sp?) on a stock cable stop. Remove the derailleur bits and grind off their attachment point; then grind a little fillet on the back side of the remaining clamp and get your local smithy to tack on a lug, no?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hick_huckster01 said:
looks great, do you hqve any clearance issues for the fork to fit under the frame when turned backwards or at 90*.
No problem at all, we have so much clearance under the frame for this fork ;)

Ciao,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks great the clamp for the front derailleur housing stop is genious I'm assuming everthing works great. You ridden those SX wheels yet? Their pretty stout looking might have to ditch my XL's this year. Looks great. Ride it like you stole it!
My mechanich is really a small genious :D in that particular case we can say "Italian do it better" :thumbsup:
Yes, everithing works great :D

The SX are surely better than the oldest XL but they are not like the Deemax of course :)

Ciao,

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
mtnbikerx said:
Just for the sake of discussion; where would one find a "clamp-on cable stop"? I have a Socom that works just fine, thank you, with a 1X9 setup and I also have a 6.6 so I'm not jonesin' for a 2X9 Socom. But just for giggles, I googled "clamp on cable stop" and there ain't none out there! It would seem easy enough to mod a FD clamp by brazing (sp?) on a stock cable stop. Remove the derailleur bits and grind off their attachment point; then grind a little fillet on the back side of the remaining clamp and get your local smithy to tack on a lug, no?
Problem solver makes them....they cost ~$15 and take about 5 minutes to install. Easier than brazing on a cable stop onto your $2400 frame, imo.

EBX

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,878 Posts
mtnbikerx said:
NOOOO, your frame was heat treated after it was welded, welding anything on to it now will significantly weaken that area of your frame. Cable stops are very simple, you could use an old fd, just cut the clamp off of it leaving enough material somewhere on the clamp to machine a stop into it. There is probably an area where the fd attaches to it's clamp where there would be enough material to machine in a stop. A good machinist could make this look really nice, too.

I'm also skeptical that socom weighs 32 lbs with a coil shock and a Totem??? Nice bike, though, enjoy!

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
mtnbikerx said:
yep i had a hell of a time trying to find one of these. but i ended up finding it in Kansas!
I actually won't be needing mine anymore, i'm going back to 1x9, and my new 6.6 will get the FD.

Contact this guy...there may be other tandem and recumbent freaks in the NE(i'm from there) so you might be able to find something local. but this is the guy to contact:

Mark Johnson
Precision Tandems, Inc.
Shawnee, KS
http://www.PrecisionTandems.com
On-line Tandem, Parts & Accessories Catalog

Be warned, it's not cheap. $25! :eek: After i bought mine in october 2005, he only had one left. go get that.

DO NOT BRAZE ANYTHING TO THAT FRAME DUDE. You will go to Hell.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
robbieracer said:
That weight is perfectly achievable with a light XC wheelset and air shock, air forks..
But it has a Ti-coil shock ;)
Even with the XC wheelset (Crossmax?) and the 2.35 Highrollers it would be hard to get it that low. And I doubt that it is still FR/DH-worthy then!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
iRider said:
But it has a Ti-coil shock ;)
Even with the XC wheelset (Crossmax?) and the 2.35 Highrollers it would be hard to get it that low. And I doubt that it is still FR/DH-worthy then!
Exactly, Mabye that low if you went with a set of Crossmax SLR's( like you said), a set of 1.95 Maxxis Maxxlite 310's and a Rock Shox Sid World cup fork and Dura Ace cranks, too, But that wouldn't make much sense:madman:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.