Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand what they are trying to do by moving the bib straps, maybe it's the attempt at coy marketing that I find annoying...

https://www.cbike.com/assos_womens_clothing.htm

Do you think this sizing is realistic? From a different part of the page, about some shorts:
The above model is wearing a Size Medium. She is 5'8" tall, weighs 115 lbs, and usually wears a US size 4.
size 4 a medium? What planet are these Assos people from ???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

formica

·
Registered
624 Posts
I think a size 4 is like an extra extra small! Sheesh! I wear an 8 and that translates to an XL in bike shorts! :eek:

·
Tracking up the place
627 Posts
hmmm

I'm a guy of course, They look kinda cool kinda sexy..., though I wonder about the center strap and whether it will cause irritation on the inside of the breast-es'.. for those that are more endowed/punished/blessed ( on how you feel about it) than model shown. Or even chafe the area around the outside section of the rib cage...

My wife would like to get bibs, if they were cut for women and hence and women of larger sizes.. It seemed pretty limited on sizes though the material is similar to the ones I purchased lately..

.Is does not seem though a support bra is practical because of the back of the tights seems to have a large mesh panel for breath-ability .. If anybody gets a pair let us know how they work... I'm also not sure about removable chamois???

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
Im sure it would look good on my gf but after seeing the price... :eek:
But I think I'll stick to the reg lycra shorts for her and the cheap 1 use lingerie pieces from the online stores ;)

·
Banned
226 Posts
It doesnt really look all the great. Looks like something from Speedo or something. Im not sure why the marketing would make anyone mad, I mean, they have been doing the same thing forever, no surprise, right? They couldnt sell something unless they advertised something people want to look at. I know, it's not right, but what can you do? To me, she doesnt look all that hot anyway.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Neen said:
I think a size 4 is like an extra extra small! Sheesh! I wear an 8 and that translates to an XL in bike shorts! :eek:
no! a size 4 is a small. an XS is size 0-2. i hate it when companies "up-size" XS so that people who don't want to admit that they're not an extra small can fit into them. (btw, not trying to insinuate that neen is saying that she doesn't want to admit her size).

on the other hand, size M = size 4 is just wrong. but then again so is being 5'8" and 115 lbs. :rolleyes:

rt

ps - no i wouldn't wear those. just trying to imagine how one would get them off at a pee break makes my brain hurt. i'll just stick to my xs shorts, thanks.

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
Looks like overalls put on backwards.

I don't have a burning need for bibs, but those look doable.

4 as a medium? 5'8" and 115lbs? Yes, this is the world of make-believe-barbie-model-world. Not for real, regular women.

Mary Ann

·
Registered
271 Posts
Lol

so thats a Medium hey..too funny and no i dont think i would wear those anyway. Kind of like when I bought my Roach FR pants and had to buy a Large..right 5'4 135/125 (depending on how far into summer we are and the weather)...now I am not a super slender but I would never consider my self a lg. and I would never want to be as skinny as the Model.5'8 and 115 is just wrong.It seems a little thin to me. I love to eat and may not like the extra 10lbs I carry but if it wont' come off due to excersice then it stays on....yummmy food rules :)

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I like this image.

The size is matched for her length, not her width or weight. I expect that a variety of figures at 5 8 would fit this length. Her disposition is very elegant and takes advantage of the stitch, coloration and the new central strap technology. As for covering her breasts there really aren't many methods that might have as nice an aesthetic. Consider digital obliteration of nipples, flesh colored pasties and such. The traditional bra, even in it's most minimal expression, would conflict with the central strap and make a cross; bad design for an ad. I'm sure she was picked for her breast size out of this sort of consideration; one would not want her hands to be.....overwhelmed.
Such form fitting clothing is by nature very revealing and will borrow from the years of the more public lingerie and foundation images for icons. These archtypes constantly tread the interphase between modesty, function, and revealing what many in the public consider essential beauty of the feminine form without slipping into the erotic.
There is nothing coy about this image. Her form IS willowy and she IS young yet she stands with power and dignity without that vacuous gaze one can see in other types of clothing marketing. That she is a beauty, in the sense of professional model beauty, is only par for the course. That in itself can draw a comment or two. That it feeds into the impossible-to-attain body type which vexes women and their self image that we have worked hard to confront in an effort to validate what real women are about cannot be denied.
The entire Assos page works very hard to creat it's style, excitement and action to attract and direct the eye. The color palate serves to support that while the fabric finish is soft and feminine. The only image which fails that standard is the red short sleeve jersey where the model is plainly flat footed and it is totally uninteresting.
Catalogue Photography can be weird, dippy, smarmy or over the top. Fashion is a funny thing and seldom extends very far into niche sports advertising. It is hard to make a piece of fabric tell a story. I have marveled at the beautiful women who model for our more pedestrian clothing manufacturers (PI, Perf, Sug, etc.) They tend to be a bit more home spun and girl next door, fuller figured types who do little to make the clothes say anything but stand there with them on. That has less to do with body type than talent or design/display intentions. Assos is far more interesting as the women express a talent for motion vital to two dimensional imaging. It must be admitted that not all of the images succeed and some can look contrived but is still much more interesting to me.
I recently had an opportunity to view a fine photographer's images of pro and semi-pro women road racers on the course and the best images, for me, had many of these qualities. They revealed something spectacular about women and aggression and many were breathtaking. It made me think about group pictures or pics of the girls at the starting line; healthy, ready, full of life. Yet they cannot compare to a woman in motion.

Or not.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ahem...

I for one find the advertising masochistic and in poor taste. Who exactly are they marketing to anyway? My guess is either men or women who want to look like the knock-kneed uber-waif in the pic. This burns me because as an athlete I want to see strong, realistic women, possibly even ON A BIKE (omg!).

I would like a pair of bibs, but would not opt for the tights/boob-bisection variety. I can't stand the way the women are bending with their a**es toward the camera. In my opinion, advertising like that (especially when womens faces aren't in the pics, only body parts) is objectifying to women.

I'm sure there are plenty who will disagree, but I want to buy from a company that represents itself with real female athletes, possibly even ones being active and enjoying themselves, not a company that has a focus in snaring the male gaze.

Sex sells, but I'm just not buying it.

And BTW, I'm one sexy lady ;)

·
Banned
226 Posts
MTNgirl said:
I for one find the advertising masochistic and in poor taste. Who exactly are they marketing to anyway? My guess is either men or women who want to look like the knock-kneed uber-waif in the pic. This burns me because as an athlete I want to see strong, realistic women, possibly even ON A BIKE (omg!).

I would like a pair of bibs, but would not opt for the tights/boob-bisection variety. I can't stand the way the women are bending with their a**es toward the camera. In my opinion, advertising like that (especially when womens faces aren't in the pics, only body parts) is objectifying to women.

I'm sure there are plenty who will disagree, but I want to buy from a company that represents itself with real female athletes, possibly even ones being active and enjoying themselves, not a company that has a focus in snaring the male gaze.

Say whats on your mind... ;)

·
Tracking up the place
627 Posts
MTNgirl said:

Your Correct; notice too, that from my view that her legs arent as shapely as any roadie nor MTBing female....no defintion no strength in the lower extremites...She is the Model...cut and paste...a 1% as my old biology professor says...

Doesn't one of the people in this lounge make clothing....How hard would it be to get a bib made for woman say custom fit.. Not for Xmas but for spring maybe....Something that is very breathable up front but yet supportive, say Eschelor fabric...I don't have any clue how it would be made....

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The bottom half looks all right, but the top half seems impractical to me. I'd think if you were going to make bibs for women that you'd at least put in something like a sports bra? I don't ride without one, but maybe that's just me.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
MTNgirl, check out the Title 9 catalogs. I get them at least once a month, and most of the models are real women doing their favorite things. I hate when they re-use the same women constantly, but I respect the approach.

Let's face it, most female athletes don't look like Maria Sharapova (whatever her name is) or Anna Kournikova or that faceless stringbean in the bib. MTB especially requires muscles and a certain passionate attitude that usually includes a hearty appetite.

Women who subsist on an extreme low-carb diet don't usually have much passion for life ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
aword4you said:
The bottom half looks all right, but the top half seems impractical to me. I'd think if you were going to make bibs for women that you'd at least put in something like a sports bra? I don't ride without one, but maybe that's just me.
Yeah if it came with a sports bra then maybe i would wear one as well...that would make far more sence.

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
formica said:
Do you think this sizing is realistic? From a different part of the page, about some shorts:

size 4 a medium? What planet are these Assos people from ???? :eek: :eek: :eek:
formica
Interesting. It looks like Assos has been reading this forum and has revised their webpage. The model now weighs 125 and wears a size 6. Really?

I would NEVER wear these. Being an XL, I don't want to wear a cleavage enhancer. Clearly these are not made for me. It is nearly impossible to find clothes I find comfortable or attractive. The hardest part about riding my bike is psyching myself up to put on my riding clothes. And in winter, I'd LOVE bib tights so I could cover my knees without an extra waistband. It aint gonna happen.

<sarcasm> Everybody knows big girls don't exercise or need clothes that fit, and there are hardly any of us in America these days, with the anorexia epidemic that's sweeping the nation. </sarcasm>

Patty

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.