Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Classic Blur, lime green. Full XTR, Marta SL's, CK headset, CK wheel set with Stans ztr's, and Thomson stem and post. 2004 Fox talas. Its a nice bike but I aways thought it rode on the harsh side in terms of the rear shock.

I wanted to ask the forum if you guys would spend money updating the shock from the 5th Element to a Rockshock Monarch from Push? I've been on the fence about buying a 5 inch plus travel bike but here in GA its really not necessary to roll the single track here in the Woodstock area.

Money really is the problem but I wanted to see if buying a different shock might wake the dead. Any thoughts that this is a waste of time and money??

Thanks

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
A suspension "upgrade" would be a wise use of your $$$ for this bike.

Sounds like you are fine with bike overall, you just want a better performing shock.

Several ways to go about this:

Buy the new shock you mentioned and get the Push treatment-quality but spendy.

Buy a newer model used shock that will work on your bike and you will see immediate improvements over the 5th Element.

Buy a used shock cheap, send it to Push-and end up with a rebuilt shock with the push treatment for minimal dollars.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I think the 120 is a great addition to the classic.
Made the bike better in my opinion.
20mm isn't going to drastically change the handling-you'll adapt quickly, and it can allow you to run more sag in the front and have a bit more tuning range depending on the fork chosen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running a 2004 Fox Talas now and I have never rode it higher that 103mm. I thought I would send it to Push for a rebuild and a tune. To bad its got the brake bosses on it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts