Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a stupid little crash and my Easton Haven bar scraped against a concrete edge. The bar didn't take a very hard impact from what I could tell but it scratched it up pretty good.

What do you guys think, dangerous to keep riding this bar?

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
Hard to say for sure but it looks superficial (finish scratches) and doesn't seem to affect structure.

They could be deeper than the picture makes it look and micro fractures could have ensued. Hard to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yeah - hard to tell from the pic whether that's just a clearcoat scratch in which case it should be fine, but if it's thru to the carbon at all, then I wouldn't ride it as for me it's just not worth the risk. I'd get it checked out by your LBS.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't really help you based upon that photo, but how do you like the stem?
I'll get a better photo tonight, that was just a quick camera phone snap before I came to work today.

I like the stem, not super duper light but I think it looks *****in and the length seems perfect for my riding style.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Surface condition on carbon can be very important to the strength. The safe answer is don't ride it but of course you can do what you feel comfortable doing. If you do ride it keep a close eye on it and make sure you don't see any additional delamination or cracking.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you do chooseto keep riding with it, get a carbon repair kit mix up some resin and apply a thin coat .(no fiber just resin) this will help reduce the chance of any hairline cracks spreading, and will restore the finish somewhat.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
If you do chooseto keep riding with it, get a carbon repair kit mix up some resin and apply a thin coat .(no fiber just resin) this will help reduce the chance of any hairline cracks spreading, and will restore the finish somewhat.
Meh, since it's black and you won't be able to see it yellow, just do the thinned out epoxy glue w/ rubbing alcohol trick, and use some sort of plastic cling wrap to cover while it cures. This will give you a "polished" look which you can dull down w/ some SOS brillo pad.

This suggestion is only for once you've determined the surface carbon layer hasn't been compromised. For this, get it wet so the white resin scraps go away and you'll be able to see into the damage. Let this thing dry for 24 hours before attempting the fix if you decide it's still good.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Meh, since it's black and you won't be able to see it yellow, just do the thinned out epoxy glue w/ rubbing alcohol trick, and use some sort of plastic cling wrap to cover while it cures. This will give you a "polished" look which you can dull down w/ some SOS brillo pad.

This suggestion is only for once you've determined the surface carbon layer hasn't been compromised. For this, get it wet so the white resin scraps go away and you'll be able to see into the damage. Let this thing dry for 24 hours before attempting the fix if you decide it's still good.
I would use the proper repair agent, but that's just me. If you have carbon Parts anyway why not stock a repair kit?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I took a spill a couple weekends back and have similar scrapings on my carbon Easton Haven bar and never gave it a second thought....mine looked mostly cosmetic to me but maybe I'll look into one of these carbon repait kits. Are these carbon parts really that sensative? I ride in Arizona and everything is covered in rocks, makes me think carbon parts here is just a bad idea.

G

·
Ride on, its fine...

I have stuffed carbon bars several times and had pretty deep gouges and never had a problem after continuing to beat the crap out of them.

Now, on the other hand, if you are looking for an excuse to get new bars, than I wouldn't take the risk. Get those things off your bike immediately, if not sooner.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Are these carbon parts really that sensative? .
Short answer: no
But that doesnt mean consumers aren't that sensitive. Many a craptastic carbon part has been made. Even Easton had to recall their XC carbon seatpost.

btw ive done a bit of carbon and kevlar stuff in my garage, mostly for RC stuff, and things like fenders. If I was going to repair the item, I would send it to a carbon repair shop, or wrap my own carbon weave on it. Epoxy will not strengthen the structure, only help to reduce the rate at which it gets worse.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would just replace it- yes it may be fine- but there just bars which shouldn't break the bank you don't have to worry about them- I would hate to see you knock a few teeth out over a bar-

Ps the stem looks sick!!!! I love my haven bars as well

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.