Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ended up with a big thorn in my tire and it leaked slowly. I rode for probably for 10 minutes and the bike felt loose but not flat. It wasn't until I started getting multiple rim strikes that I realized I must have a flat. I stopped riding and started walking the bike back to the car and by this point the tire was completely flat and it was a bout a 25 minute walk with the tire pancaked.

I was wondering, between the rim strikes and the walk back to the car with a pancaked tire, can I still used this tire or has the sidewall been compromised? Would you replace?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I ended up with a big thorn in my tire and it leaked slowly. I rode for probably for 10 minutes and the bike felt loose but not flat. It wasn't until I started getting multiple rim strikes that I realized I must have a flat. I stopped riding and started walking the bike back to the car and by this point the tire was completely flat and it was a bout a 25 minute walk with the tire pancaked.

I was wondering, between the rim strikes and the walk back to the car with a pancaked tire, can I still used this tire or has the sidewall been compromised? Would you replace?
I've used duct tape in an emergency after a blow out in a rear tyre, I patched the tube before wrapping the tape around the tyre/rim. That was extreme as the tyre was in no ways reusable, tyres are cheap enough to replace at the same time I'd check the wheel/rim, tubeless tyres on the other hand have a thicker side wall so can put up with a puncture like a car can till it's safe to stop.

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
330 Posts
I've dealt with these more than once. Your tire should be fine unless you rode it flat on pavement and the rim cut into it. Like others said, inspect the rim for damage.
Arthropod Wood Invertebrate Wildlife Terrestrial plant

Make sure you run a gloved finger around on the inside of the tire. I've seen people change their tube and get another flat in 5 secs.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Make sure you run a gloved finger around on the inside of the tire. I've seen people change their tube and get another flat in 5 secs.
It only takes one occurrence to make it routine. One time after a flat I muscled my fat bike tire off the rim, replaced the tube, aired it back up and watched it loose air again. As soon as that happened I knew what I did not do and made sure to make the inspection a habit. Thankfully this was in the garage and not trailside in the cold. I did pinch flat and then break the valve of my spare tube once. That lead to a 4 mile winter walk out. Tubeless fixes these issues, but make sure you keep the tires full of sealant. Had low sealant plus a loose valve flat me out and get me temporarily tubed back up on Monday.

To OP, inspect the tire. If there are no tears on the sidewalls or bead issues it is fine. The walk wont hurt anything unless you were putting body weight on the bars. Rim strikes themselves are not the end of the rim, but definitely inspect that as well. With a tubed setup you can handle more dents, to a point, and small dents don't really affect the holding of the bead.

·
Registered
Keep things simple
491 Posts
I hate the walk of shame (flat tire) back to the car.
I’m sure you’re aware: Many riders run tubeless.
I would inspect rim/tire as mentioned above, repair/reuse and always wonder about the patch.
Seems like you choose not to carry tire repair stuff. Your choice. Or……
Replace tube with new after inspecting rim and be a bit more confident.
Be aware, new tubes can be wonky too.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the solid advice everyone. I patched the hole in the tire and there doesn't appear to be any other damage. It air up and seated fine. Check the rim, trueness and spoke tension and everything checked out. I was surprised that the rim was so true with spoke tension within 15%. So all good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.