Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current bike has last gen X01 (1195--10-42 cassette) and a bike I'm considering has GX Eagle on it. I rarely use the 42 cog as is so the 50 cog just seems like extra weight to me. I also don't use the 10 cog really ever so the idea of a bigger chainring isn't appealing to me either.

So I'm torn between trading my current groupset with my new bike's and selling my old bike with a brand new groupset and having a lighter groupset on the new bike or getting a possibly higher resale on my old bike selling it with X01.

Has anyone who thought they didn't need the 50 cog and ended up wishing they had it all along?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have X01 with the e.13 conversion to 13sp. 46t big cog. Works flawlessly
Had eagle with the 50t and found i didnt use the 50 nearly as much as the 46.
Bought 11sp x01 shift n derailleur, converted and love it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just built a new bike and went with 10-42 11 spd. I rarely use the 42 on my other 2 bikes. Demoed a bunch a bikes at Sedona Bike Fest, all had Eagle and never found myself using the 50. So confirmed it's not a benefit to me. My thought is why deal with the extra weight and complexity.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,096 Posts
It sounds like you answered your own question when you said you really don't use the biggest/smallest cogs. I always go with what works for what I do...outside that, I'm no help since I don't live near real mountains.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I don't need or want more than what 11sp 10-42 x 28 offers. As such, I have no motivation or interest in going SRAM 12 speed. Of course the next bike will almost certainly come with 12 speed, so I'll have to make do. I don't think AXS is available in fewer speeds.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you aren't using the 2 or 3 biggest sprockets on a cassette, your chainring is too small.
I never said I don't use them. I use the 32 and 36 a LOT but only touch the 42 a few times a ride. I wouldn't want to not have the 42, but I just don't think I need the 50.

I'm just not sure whether it would be easier/more profitable to sell my old bike with used last gen X01 or brand new GX Eagle.

·
slow
7,681 Posts
Along with the amount of gear range, another consideration is the cost of replacement parts. How much is a replacement chain and cassette for XO1 vs. GX Eagle?

As often as I wear out chains and cassettes, I typically tend toward a drivetrain that requires less expensive replacement parts. I specifically downgraded the drivetrain that came on my main bike in order to have fewer gears.

·
Registered
664 Posts
X01, unequivocally. The cassette is a work of art. Shifting, at least with XX1, is the best I've experienced. I've wrenched on a half-dozen Eagle bikes and demoed a half-dozen more. Eagle is considerably harder to tune and more sensitive to B-screw adjustment. A few bikes have had strange sync issues with the 50T, and on my demo rides, the lower-tier Eagle groups mis-shift at least once or twice per ride. This may be attributable to differences in lever throw relative to what I'm used to, but I don't experience it with any other drivetrain. It's enough to push me back to Shimano for 12-speed kit.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Probably hard to tell what the financial gain would be when selling your old bike with new drive train. I'd guess potential buyers will always assume it is used up despite what the seller claims. so you may as well give them the actually used drive train.

On some hills I don't need my lowest gearing. But if I have a weak day, or the same hill appears after a 4 hour ride, i need lower gearing. So if you expand riding in the future, you may want lower gearing?

·
Registered
141 Posts
"downgraded" from GX Eagle to X01 11sp....

Best upgrade on that bike. Lighter weight, smoother shifting, super crisp.

Now...XX1 Eagle on my Yeti is ALMOST as clean and smooth/crisp as the X01 11sp.....

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have 3 mountain bikes, one each running XT 11, X01 Eagle and GX Eagle. The all have 32 on the front. If I were to buy or build a new bike, I'd probably buy the GX Eagle. I've had no issues with the shifting. It has been quick, quiet and smooth. I personally never thought I would use a 50 as much as I do but there are so many fireroad grinds in Marin County, I find I use it all the time. I find the GX has a lighter trigger than the X01 and the cost vs performance is probably why I'd pick GX.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.