Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's like an addiction. I started MTB earlier this year and I just can't get enough. I was working for a company that owned me, so I decided to reopen my company so I could get more time to ride. My income will be actually more and the flexibility will be much better. Being self employed again will add stress as I experienced before but MTB is well worth it. Am I crazy?

·
Registered
11,706 Posts
a leave of absence...

traylseeker said:
It's like an addiction. I started MTB earlier this year and I just can't get enough. I was working for a company that owned me, so I decided to reopen my company so I could get more time to ride. My income will be actually more and the flexibility will be much better. Being self employed again will add stress as I experienced before but MTB is well worth it. Am I crazy?
isnt out of the question..no need to quit

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Regardless of mtbing, if you have a company that can be run with less work than a job that owns you, you should do that for that freedom itself.

I don't know too many companies that you can own and have that much free time, assuming you get a liveable income.

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,164 Posts
Depends on alot of factors but if I had known better when I was younger I would have taken a whole year off and just traveled all over the US

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Is there another reason to work??

fanghasyou said:
I think most people's jobs here pay for their mtb'ing.
Well I'm self employed and yes the hard part is that once you work for yourself you take on all the stress and have to make sure and get the work done, even when it's sunny out and you want to ride yet have work that needs doing. Really I think I'd like to try a 9-5 job and steady income, but after so many years on my own I don't think I could work for someone else or for the measly money I'd get doing it - why work 40 hours a week for someone else when you can work 8 for yourself for the same income?? :confused:

·
Registered
385 Posts
In a heart beat...

if I could afford it. My job pays for the addiction though. It is scarry how much MTB makes me reconsider my career because I want to ride more. Never did drugs until I got hooked on MTB... man this stuff is good.

·
Registered
144 Posts
With a wife and kid that isn't a viable option. But I did take a transfer to work from home and work early hours. I work 5a-2p PST and can usually get a ride or two in during the week even during daylight saving time. Living in SoCal riding year round is very doable. The working from home part was to be home with my son.:thumbsup: The working 5a-2p part was to have year round window for riding after work.:D The job isn't the most exciting but having all day to think about riding after work make up for it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My son used to race BMX and being self employed allowed us to head out on Thurs. night or early Friday morning to catch the pre race on Fri nite and both national events on sat. and sun. I am hoping to check out some out of state trails which could mean leaving Fri., hotel and ride on sat and sun. I hope to go to Colorado one day. The trails are awesome I hear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
*waves* hey traylseeker! (fellow richmonder here)

i wouldn't quite my job, because i love it, but i'd like to do it one day a week and mtb the other 6!

·
over 50 years of cycling
533 Posts
sign me up!

damn straight!
....in answer to the orginal question.

IF only I wasn't addicted to those silly luxuries like food and shelter and wasn't earning most of the income and all of the benefits for a family of 4, and just finishing putting 2 daughters through college (after paying for my own college in my younger days), and now I am still helping them a bit to nudge them into FULL indepedence.

Its all in the details....sigh....

Every once in awhile I remark to my wife about how sick and tired I am of my soul sucking job and want to try something else. She cheerily says "Sure.....as long as you keep the same pay and benefits."

ARRRRRRGGHHHH!!!!

Working for yourself USUALLY ends up with LESS time, going by everyone I know that has their own business.

·
Registered
13 Posts
traylseeker said:
Member of MORE? do any local riding? PFP, POCO JRPS
yep, i know you from ccva (i'm 'tri' there). i've probably ridden with you! i ride everything around here! (when i'm not working!)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Ride to work???

traylseeker said:
Ride to work so you can get a quick fix....

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,986 Posts
traylseeker said:

I am self employed...make cash and get to ride pretty much everyday

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The addiction?

I'll assume it's a healthy addiction. The car or truck riding by with abike on it and i gotta see what kind it is. FS, HT, SS or just a wannabee (walmarter). Then as I pass the woods with what looks like a trail leading in or is it leading out only to lead back in 30 ft. away just ahead? Should I slow down to see if someone rides out so I can get an update on trail conditions? Can I bump my next appt till tomorrow?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I resemble that remark.

Sounds like most of us here :D
traylseeker said:
I'll assume it's a healthy addiction. The car or truck riding by with abike on it and i gotta see what kind it is. FS, HT, SS or just a wannabee (walmarter). Then as I pass the woods with what looks like a trail leading in or is it leading out only to lead back in 30 ft. away just ahead? Should I slow down to see if someone rides out so I can get an update on trail conditions? Can I bump my next appt till tomorrow?

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"Being self employed again will add stress as I experienced before but MTB is well worth it. Am I crazy?"

Learn from your mistakes and don't get stressed again. Crazy is eating your toes for no good reason. Ever done that?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts