Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got bored and curious....i thought we needed a different discussion so here it is...what would your choice be: frame build or stock bike. :band:

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Frame Build

When I bought my Atlas, I was originally going to do a frame build. However, the Expert came stock with so many of it's major components that were either exactly what I wanted, or close enough in their quality level that I bought it stock and swapped out the parts that didn't match my personal spec. The other thing about a frame up build is the fun and satisfaction of physically building the bike. There's nothing else like it.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
When I bought my Atlas, I was originally going to do a frame build. However, the Expert came stock with so many of it's major components that were either exactly what I wanted, or close enough in their quality level that I bought it stock and swapped out the parts that didn't match my personal spec. The other thing about a frame up build is the fun and satisfaction of physically building the bike. There's nothing else like it.
Take it the rest of the way apart lube & adjust every thing & walla! :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Bob!!!!!,

i have been playin with this thought for the past months...although i am not planning on getting a new bike anytime soon, i just think about what i will do for next time...money always plays the most important part, but if we think how much a bike at the lbs cost, we will end up paying almost the same price but with the components we actually like better by doing a frame build...in other case we can keep building up from spare parts and save a little more...right now i have a few parts...i am planning on building a bike for my brother some time soon hopefully ...

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Here's a thought

doctorholguin said:
Hi Bob!!!!!,

i have been playin with this thought for the past months...although i am not planning on getting a new bike anytime soon, i just think about what i will do for next time...money always plays the most important part, but if we think how much a bike at the lbs cost, we will end up paying almost the same price but with the components we actually like better by doing a frame build...in other case we can keep building up from spare parts and save a little more...right now i have a few parts...i am planning on building a bike for my brother some time soon hopefully ...
For me personally, when I've done frame up builds in the past, half the fun was finding the parts for the build on ebay or other sources at great prices, and stockpiling them for the build. If you don't have the frame yet, just be careful about what components you buy and stockpile. Things like cranks, seatposts and clamps, and even the headset will be dictated largely by the frame you buy. Ask the people who know me here, I'm constantly looking for the next bargain. :D :thumbsup:

Bottom line, I say go for it. if at all possible, make the frame one of the first things you buy, then pick your spots from there to buy components as you have the money....or when that bargain you just CAN'T pass up comes along.

Bob

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
yuppers... like cmc said. Look out for deals you want on the stuff you WANT. Sure the price of the bike would come up close to what you would pay for at an LBS but i assure you there's no other feeling than having a bike that is built to fit your needs perfectly. XD

But yea, the complete bikes on Ibex are very well specced and balance and usually makes you want a few parts only as most are up to par or what you were looking for already... XD

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looks rather interesting Jake!!!! SRAM will now compete with the XTR cassette...mmm my guess it will cost as much as the XTR probably....so cant get my hands on that baby, and i am in the transition of switchin to Dura Ace like i said before...

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
doctorholguin said:
looks rather interesting Jake!!!! SRAM will now compete with the XTR cassette...mmm my guess it will cost as much as the XTR probably....so cant get my hands on that baby, and i am in the transition of switchin to Dura Ace like i said before...
Rumors are this fall..200$+ and around 180 grams for an 11 x 32.............

The XTR's a boat anchor

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
omg jake, your atlas will be one of a kind...i would say it might be lighter than my asta right now lol...yep poh, i have been thinking about the dura ace for a while...i think i am strong enough and now light enough to handle that cassette...we will see what happens once i throw it on...see thats what i mean by a frame build, basically i get to use the components i trust more or have a better feeling for...ohh forgot to mention....next race will be on the 31st of August...the weather down here is pretty hot, so i have to train very early in the mornings or evening...

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
building a bike up from the frame will cost you 2x-3x as much as buying stock equipped bike (with the same caliber components)

Unless you work at a bike shop, or know some one who does ;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yep, thats what i came up with motormonkey, lets say that if i went with a top notch bike going for 3 grand i still wouldnt get options like a better fork per se i would get the reba race and on my custom build i would get the sid race...being a bit more picky: i would start off with an XTR chain on my build and the stock bike might have an LX or XT, also the cassette, etc etc...also, if i start off with the asta pro frame i would get a much nicer or perhaps very similar rear shock compare to the three grand bike....also, tires, saddle, handlebar, stem, shifters, BRAKES, seatpost, clamps, skewers, wheelset, etc etc, and finally i get to build it by myself hehehe....basically the bike will end up having my name all over it...and also i would not have to spend the money right off the bat because i would be stockpiling the parts just like CmC pointed out...just a slow but fun process dont you think...kinda like fishing waiting for the big fish...hahaha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.