Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
gray hair in my shammy
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just finished building up my KM as a commuter. Not sure about the gearing though, 44x18 might be a little tall for some of the hills on my route. May try a 20 in the rear if I'm dying on the hills. I'll eventually get a set of knobbies and take this BB off road. Anyone else commuting on thier KM.?

Attachments

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Old_Bashturd said:
Just finished building up my KM as a commuter. Not sure about the gearing though, 44x18 might be a little tall for some of the hills on my route. May try a 20 in the rear if I'm dying on the hills. I'll eventually get a set of knobbies and take this BB off road. Anyone else commuting on thier KM.?
Nice! It really shines off-road so get those knobbies quick! See ya on the trails...

·
( )
755 Posts
I've been using my monkey

as a commuter all winter. I ran 44:16 which was OK, but a little tough on the one long gradual hill I hit in the morning. I love the bike for commuting. I like running it with Schwalbe Big Apples for the pothole-frost-heave strewn roads I hit. THe only complaint I had about the bike was trying to get some decent coverage fenders for it, which were required this past winter. I got by with the SKS adventure set.

But since spring has arrived, it's been splitting duty as my commuter and trail bike I put nanoraptors on it, which roll surprisingly well on the pavement and have enough traction for most of the trails I ride. And, as anyone will tell you, it is a lot of fun on the trails. It's my first SS mt bike, and I've been having a ball on it. I gear it down to 33:19, but I'm getting tired of swapping out rings and cogs so I'm looking for a Cross Check for a full-time commuter! I guess this is how it starts...the whole bike stable thing! I suppose I could put gears on the KM and continue to use it double duty, but I'm diggin' this single speed thing too much.

Have fun with it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another Monkey commuter

My Monkey is also serving dual duty, between commuting and trails.

I run 44:18 for the road (mostly flat) and 34:18 for the trail. I got tired of switching the gears so I left the 34 in the middle and the 44 on the outside of the crank arms and only switch chains. Only takes a minute to switch over.

Another shortcut, due to my lazyness, is using cross tires. They run plenty fast on the road and handle decent on the trail. If I know I'll be riding in loose conditions, I'll take the time to throw on some Nano's.

Enjoy the ride!
richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.