Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new bike exactly 6 weeks ago and since then have put 166miles on it, mostly on the road getting back in shape. Today I got an E13 DRS to prevent my chain from bouncing off when I was on trails. So of course I go to install it today.

Here is the problem. I unscrewed the bolt for the crank arms and the left side is just fine. The right side however has about 4 rows of threads on the outside and the inside ones are completely mangled/missing. I havent done anything to this bike besides swapping the forks. That crank arm was barely able to be pulled off without losing the rest of the threads. And once I put it back on I probably wont be able to get it back off.

Now it gets worse. So I take out the bottom bracket and once again the threads are messed up. Not as bad as the crank, but it looks like it was tapped one size then half of it was re-tapped a bit larger. It is also missing a few threads. This is on the frame itself. It also looks like someone tried to hammer the BB in because there is pretty bad marks all over where the cup screws on.

So Im not very happy considering this bike has damage that wasnt caused by me and Ive only had it for 6 weeks. So what should I do? Should I contact the manufacturer? Should I just live with it? Or should I take it back to the store for a refund? The store has a very good return policy, but they do not have a replacement bike to give me.

Here are some pictures showing the BB area. You can see the dmg on the outside and the messed up threads where the size is different.
http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Picture%20001111.jpg
http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Picture%20003333.jpg

And Here are the cranks arms.
http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Picture%20027777.jpg
http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Picture%20032222.jpg

I posted this in the general forums but I was hoping to get more responses so I can come up with a solution today. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Was it new? I would go back to the store for sure and get them to repair or replace...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it was new. And i dont think they would have a spare frame to replace the damge on this one. So it sounds like Ive got a bit of a drive today to return the bike. I just want to make sure im not over-reacting about having this stuff messed up on my new bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
What are thoes gouges in the outside on the shell from ??

Looks to me as if the frame was ridden for quite some time with the B/B loose .
Also most of the dammage in the B/B shell could have been caused from a cross threaded B/B .

But the gouges makes me think you took a pipe wrench to the frame to get your B/B out!

BTW: what you describe as the B/B looking to be tapped then retapped to a differnt sixe is the center machining of the B/B shell .

Just courious what kind of frame is it ???

Did you buy that as a complete bike or did you have the frame assembled as parts ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the complete bike new 6 weeks ago like I said. I havent touched anything but the fork untill yesterday when I tried to install the e13 DRS. I used the proper BB tool to remove the shell which was tight, but not too tight. And yes I know the right side is backwards so I didnt go the wrong way at all.

As for the mangled part on the outside, I have no idea what that is from. I know what it looks like but thats exactly how it was when I removed the BB. This is why Im asking for advice on what to do with the bike.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,005 Posts
Evil4bc said:
What are thoes gouges in the outside on the shell from ??

Looks to me as if the frame was ridden for quite some time with the B/B loose .
Also most of the dammage in the B/B shell could have been caused from a cross threaded B/B .

But the gouges makes me think you took a pipe wrench to the frame to get your B/B out!

BTW: what you describe as the B/B looking to be tapped then retapped to a differnt sixe is the center machining of the B/B shell .

Just courious what kind of frame is it ???

Did you buy that as a complete bike or did you have the frame assembled as parts ?
bring it back to the bike shop.....hopefully you bought it with a credit card......if they give you any hassle just cancel the purchase on your credit card.......

be firm, POLITE and fair

don't yell .......just be cool and firm
I would demand a new frame
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,005 Posts
Biznatch01 said:
I

As for the mangled part on the outside, I have no idea what that is from. I know what it looks like but thats exactly how it was when I removed the BB. .
somebody was a monkey working on that bike and messed up......so either the bike shop gets you a new frame or the manufacture.......ask them what is a reasonable time to get a new frame.....3 weeks max....or you start charging them......or can I have a loaner bike
 

·
Portland, OR
Joined
·
3,112 Posts
yea dude, that thing has been thrashed. take it back, see if they have any new frames/ cranks coming in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok Im glad I wasnt over-reacting. I got it at performace, so they have a great return policy so Im not too worried. I just wanted to make sure that this isnt something I should just tolerate. This was the last of this model they had so I dont think they will be able to replace the crank/frame. So I guess Im going for refund and making a stop by wheelworld for a reign 3 at that killer price.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,005 Posts
Biznatch01 said:
Ok Im glad I wasnt over-reacting. I got it at performace, so they have a great return policy so Im not too worried. I just wanted to make sure that this isnt something I should just tolerate. This was the last of this model they had so I dont think they will be able to replace the crank/frame. So I guess Im going for refund and making a stop by wheelworld for a reign 3 at that killer price.
try to at least work with the shop you bought it at.....don't get upset and yell and make a big fuss.....just be polite and say this isn't right....Maybe they can get you a Reign at the same price........you have the upper hand so you never need to raise your voice

did you buy it with a credit card
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used my debit card for most of it then the last part on a CC. So I wont be able to easily go through my CC company. Im not mad or anything and Im not the type of person to yell or make a big deal, Im always polite :p. If they had a reign I would love to get it there, and they pricematch so that wouldnt be a problem. I just dont think they have any giant bikes that I can remember.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,005 Posts
Biznatch01 said:
I used my debit card for most of it then the last part on a CC. So I wont be able to easily go through my CC company. Im not mad or anything and Im not the type of person to yell or make a big deal, Im always polite :p. If they had a reign I would love to get it there, and they pricematch so that wouldnt be a problem. I just dont think they have any giant bikes that I can remember.
debit and credit cards are the same when not getting what you want...........you are so stoked and in great luck....if they hassle you .....you can get your money back easily.....besides there should be a quantee on the bike
 

·
Portland, OR
Joined
·
3,112 Posts
Biznatch01 said:
I used my debit card for most of it then the last part on a CC. So I wont be able to easily go through my CC company. Im not mad or anything and Im not the type of person to yell or make a big deal, Im always polite :p. If they had a reign I would love to get it there, and they pricematch so that wouldnt be a problem. I just dont think they have any giant bikes that I can remember.
Performance bikes are a Giant dealer, they can get you a reign if you want. be good to them, I love performance and can never come out with a bike :p today they had a 2006 Schwinn Mesa GSD for $350.00
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
todd_freeride said:
Performance bikes are a Giant dealer, they can get you a reign if you want. be good to them, I love performance and can never come out with a bike :p today they had a 2006 Schwinn Mesa GSD for $350.00
Don't mean to sound like a [email protected] But... WRONG.

Performance and Giant mutually dropped each other. Performance claimed that it was completely their own decision. That's why Performance was selling off their left-over Giant stock for so cheap. That, and they can't build bikes... at all...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I went back to performance and talked to the manager. I showed him the damage and even he couldnt believe it and said he's never seen this before. Well he was extremely helpfull and tried to get me a deal on another bike but the only ones they had around the same price was a hideous orange color and I just couldn't have that. But the guy couldn't have been nicer or done more to help me out and ended up giving me a full refund.

So performance is a really good shop and Im glad I had bought the bike there, Its just too bad they didnt have another bike like this so I could have bought it from them. I hope wheelworld has customer service like performance when I go. It was too late to go today :(
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top