Votes: 179 98.4%
  • No, not a dab.

Votes: 3 1.6%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Spooooon!
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that a "dab" is putting a foot down to help clear a technical section of trail. What about a hand? What about a shoulder, elbow, knee . . . head? Do they count or can you consider a trail cleaned if you use part of your body on the trail as long as you don't put a foot down?

Attachments

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Dab is more than a foot.

Dab really means using ANYTHING other than the bike in contact with terrain. You can't use ski poles in your hands, helmet, long fingernail, or even a fart as a boost, but you can use the pedals or your chainring to help you out. Note that trials peeps regularly do this. Look at trials rules.

Very good you made it but you still dabbed. It just feels better when your foot is still on the pedal.

·
Registered
13,179 Posts
Yeah, it's a dab (technically), but I feel a ton better about a section that I've cleaned with only a hand or elbow dab than one in which I've fallen off the bike or put a foot down.

Dabs should be graded from "total train wreck" to "minor flub". In fact in trials motorcycle competitions they do just that. Five points for a total come apart to one point for a minor dab and a Zero for a clean section.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I say if you keep both hands on the bar and both feet on the pedals and keep moving, then you have cleaned it--even if you use your elbow or shoulder to rub or bump off something while moving. In the case of the latter, I'd call that technique, using the terrain to your advantage to get through something. But if you have to pull a hand or foot off, it is a dab in my book even if you keep moving.

(Now I wouldn't count something like coming to a stop and leaning against a tree with your shoulder or elbow. But that is often just resting and worse than a dab.)

·
This is how it started...
341 Posts
Yep. It's a dab, but like KRob said, it sure feels better than a foot dab. There is a trail in SD that has an S-turn through some large rocks with a large watermelon sized rock in the middle of the section that I have yet to make it through. Last weekend I "hand dabbed" it just lightly and was elated because I had never been that close to cleaning it before.
IMO I still consider the spot "unclean" until all body parts stay on the bike.

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
Did forward motion cease?

Maintaining momentum and staying smooth is way more important than trying to strictly define standards of cleanliness.

On the old Holy Cross there was a very low tree, under which the cleanliest line was lay the bike way down, while hand-planting a rock so you didn't totally fall over. It was not a dab. It was flow.

We all know when the trail kicked our ass. Don't lie to yourself and you won't have to remember all these rules.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
What about pushing saplings out of the way with one hand?

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
perttime said:
What about pushing saplings out of the way with one hand?
How about kicking the dog? :)

I think the saplings would be OK as long as they didn't touch the palm of your hand, because that would be a "carry" and then the other team would get to serve.

·
Spooooon!
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting discussion. I wasn't familiar with the trials rules. It seems to me that resting on a ledge by putting a pedal on a rock while still clipped in is more of a dab that a push with a hand on an embankment. Either way, I don't think you can call the section "cleaned", but I think a "hab" is less of an infraction than putting a foot down.

I don't think saplings count . . .

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.