Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is having a warranty with your VPP frame ? I am considering buying a used Nomad . I'd save @ least a few hundred $ but is it worth it down the road ? Free bearing replacement come to mid first and foremost. Thanx

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
keen said:
How important is having a warranty with your VPP frame ? I am considering buying a used Nomad . I'd save @ least a few hundred $ but is it worth it down the road ?
IMO, having a warranty is worth a few hundred extra dollars. I've exercised the warranty on two of my frames (neither of which is a VPP though).

·
I fix choppers
993 Posts
keen said:
How important is having a warranty with your VPP frame ? I am considering buying a used Nomad . I'd save @ least a few hundred $ but is it worth it down the road ? Free bearing replacement come to mid first and foremost. Thanx
I personally think warranties are bs. Ride the bike, wear out the bearings, links, crack the swingarm, ding the down tube and take responsibility for your own behavior. Crash replacement is plenty. That said I have not known too many that have had to exercise any warranties with SC. :devil:

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HELLBELLY said:
I personally think warranties are bs. Ride the bike, wear out the bearings, links, crack the swingarm, ding the down tube and take responsibility for your own behavior. Crash replacement is plenty. That said I have not known too many that have had to exercise any warranties with SC. :devil:
"take responsibility for your own behavior" - I think you missed the honest purpose of a warranty. If your frame fails inside the paramaters of normal use, for a defective reason , your arse is covered. I don't see how you figure a warranty is BS. I had an older Enduro crack @ the seat stay (common issue) and would have been out of luck if I wasn't the orig. owner w/ a warranty. I think SC has bearing issues period.

·
legal alien
118 Posts
i would buy a santa cruz, turner, knolly, etc... without a warranty because these companies stand behind their product and will at a minimum give you heavily discounted crash replacements, irrespective of the suspension system. for vpp specifically, i would have some reservations about intense based on what i've heard in newsgroups (no personal experience) but not santa cruz (based on personal experience with three bikes to date).

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Resident Alien said:
i would buy a santa cruz, turner, knolly, etc... without a warranty because these companies stand behind their product and will at a minimum give you heavily discounted crash replacements, irrespective of the suspension system. for vpp specifically, i would have some reservations about intense based on what i've heard in newsgroups (no personal experience) but not santa cruz (based on personal experience with three bikes to date).
I understand about crash replacement but bearing replacement or "free" triangle / swingarm replacement's doesn't seem realistic w/o a warranty. I had a used Bullit and Heckler and never needed to call SC. My buddy is on a Blur (not original owner) and spent $$ on bearing replacments, broke a Ti link which damaged the main frame - more $ all within a year on a 2007.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Even working at a shop, I've kinda liked the warranties that came on some of my bikes. I broke a '95 Trek Y33 and got the newer and beefier '98 Y33 as replacement. I had a rear shock failure on a new '96 Specialized Ground Control...replaced with a new one. I broke a '99 FSR Enduro after just a few days use and got a new replacement frame for that one. I've had several high dollar suspension components over the years that failed and were replaced. All of these issues were taken care of free of charge because of warranties. Now...I've had several frames and their attached components that have needed no warranty issue at all. If I found a "good enough" deal on a Nomad or any other bike, I'd probably go for it. I think SC's crash replacement policy is probably one of the best overall.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
TNC said:
Even working at a shop, I've kinda liked the warranties that came on some of my bikes. I broke a '95 Trek Y33 and got the newer and beefier '98 Y33 as replacement. I had a rear shock failure on a new '96 Specialized Ground Control...replaced with a new one. I broke a '99 FSR Enduro after just a few days use and got a new replacement frame for that one. I've had several high dollar suspension components over the years that failed and were replaced. All of these issues were taken care of free of charge because of warranties. Now...I've had several frames and their attached components that have needed no warranty issue at all. If I found a "good enough" deal on a Nomad or any other bike, I'd probably go for it. I think SC's crash replacement policy is probably one of the best overall.
However, only for the original owner......buying used voids this. :nono:

·
Knolliac
417 Posts
However, only for the original owner......buying used voids this.

Not necessarily and I say this based on personal experience. I was allowed to get a new front triangle at the crash replacement price for a blur that, A. I was not not the original owner of and B. Was not NOT damaged. I simply wanted to convert a classic Blur to a Blur LT, and was honest and up front with SC about it. They never asked if I was the original owner and didn't care. They even installed a new propack for FREE. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't worry about the warranty. I've bought two VPP bikes (BLT and VPFree) from their original owners - the BLT was never really ridden but the Free was. I've never had any problems with, nor do I expect to. I've replaced the pivots on both, but I see this a cost of ownership.

Unless you're just really tough on your equipment or really big, I think most products will hold up - yes there are exceptions no doubt.

However, if the deal is only a few hundred (is it $200 or $800 - I guess that makes a bigger difference), why wouldnt you just buy new? It's the same thing as a car coming off the lot, it depreciates really quick. My BLT was never ridden, the guy just needed cash and we were both happy - and i paid much less than what i would have paid "new".

·
I fix choppers
993 Posts
TNC said:
Exactly. What I hate hearing about are riders whom are looking for lifetime warranties, which IMHO are ridiculous. I think SC has it together with their crash replacement approach. :devil:

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
That's what I've seen.

ancientwisdom said:
Not necessarily and I say this based on personal experience. I was allowed to get a new front triangle at the crash replacement price for a blur that, A. I was not not the original owner of and B. Was not NOT damaged. I simply wanted to convert a classic Blur to a Blur LT, and was honest and up front with SC about it. They never asked if I was the original owner and didn't care. They even installed a new propack for FREE. :thumbsup:
Yeah, this is what I've seen as the norm. If you own an SC, the crash replacement seems to be honored. I don't even know what their written statement is on crash/failure replacement, but they seem to honor any actual owner. Yeah, it's not free, but it's darned decent

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
HELLBELLY said:
I agree!

·
Registered
152 Posts
The SC's crash replacement was one of reasons why I have bought a SC Heckler (instead of other bike brands). But I have found a difference between statement on their page and the statement in my set - up guide:

The statement on web site:
Limited No-Fault Replacement
Santa Cruz Bicycles will make replacement parts available to the original owner at a minimal charge in the event of a crash or other non-warranty situation.

Set - up guide statement:
Santa Cruz Bicycles will make replacement parts available to the original owner at a minimal charge in the event of a crash or other non-warranty situation for 3 years from the date of the original purchase.

I was quite disappointed when I realized it but I somehow don't care of it now.

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
persing said:
Set - up guide statement:
Santa Cruz Bicycles will make replacement parts available to the original owner at a minimal charge in the event of a crash or other non-warranty situation for 3 years from the date of the original purchase.

I was quite disappointed when I realized it but I somehow don't care of it now.
Crash replaced my Blur Classic after 4.5 years for a Blur 4x without any issues. There are official limits to the warranty and crash replacement policies but they routinely go over and above these.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I've found SC as others, to be very helpful when there are problems. The bearing warranty thing only pays for the actual bearing, not the labor anyways and you're best off learning to do that yourself anyways. OTOH only a few hundred savings? What's that 2-300? For that little difference personally I'd go with the new frame just for the lust factor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.