Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend has ridden mountain bikes off and on over the years but has never really gotten into it, as I have. He tried to ride awhile back and found that his fitness isn't where he needs it to be to ride Annadel like he used to.

So, last week another mutual friend offered to buy him a new Levo as partial payment for a classic car restoration that he is helping him with. My friend thought this would be a great way to get back up into the park so they went to the local Spec. dealer to see what they had. He ended up buying a middle of the line build and while going through the purchase he specifically asked if it was okay to ride them in Annadel. The dealer specifically told him that it was fine and that they even rent them to ride in Annadel as demos.

Yesterday, when we were eating lunch, my buddy told me that he had just bought the Levo and was looking forward to riding it. I asked where he planned to ride it, since they're not allowed in Annadel. He said, "Oh, class ones are allowed now, I asked the dealer." I responded that I had not checked in a few months but that the last I knew, the Trione-Annadel website had a posted statement that they are considered "motorized" vehicles and are not allowed in the park.

Last night, he checked for himself and sure enough, they're still prohibited. He's pissed that he wasn't just mislead, but that he was blatantly lied to in order for the dealer to ensure the sale. Jeff is the kind of guy to follow the rules and agrees that he should have checked it out for himself before he bought, but he was confident that what the dealer told him was accurate since they should know. He likes the bike and prefers to keep it for when he goes to Tahoe, but plans to confront the dealer about it this afternoon.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Karma for buying an E-bike in the first place
Until last week, I really was averse to ebikes. And they are not for me yet (ever?), in any case.

But met an older biker (mid/upper 70's) at Mike's Bikes in Los Gatos last Wed. He just started chatting with me. He was picking up his full squish Pivot, but said he just got an ebike.
They way he talked abt the trails he used to ride and now rides, I got the sense he really misses his old, non assisted pedaling but was given new life by ebikes.

5 minute chat but thought abt that guy everyday since. Maybe I was projecting blah blah, but no matter.

I hope he rides forever.
Kumbaya!

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
I'd be a little pissed, although trust-but-verify applies. People seem to be riding them where they want without consequences, just like most acoustic-bike poaching.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
write a letter to Specialized detail everything w/o being a jerk and ask wtf ???

if dealer engaged in illegal activity (ride where prohibited) to make a sale, that is actual crime

if dealer was not there then....personal responsibility to check laws despite dealer saying 'whatever'

dealer in the wrong imho

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
I would be p'd off. I'd complain and work on getting a full refund. Dealer will say stuff like, deductions for wear and tear, and the like but don't buy it. Keep pushing as it was an unethical sale.

^ localhost said it, write a letter to spesh and sinyard.

Edit: I do so miss our open letters though. Have him post one.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
When I was shopping bikes from the same shop in Santa Rosa, the sales guy was pushing the Specialized E-bikes, and trying to convince me to demo one. I asked about the legality of riding in Annadel, and heard the same story. He added that the owner of said shop (who owns 3 shops, 1 of which sells food, beer and demos bikes) personally owns 3 e-bikes and rides them in the park.

I was shopping for non pedal-assist and bought a Ripmo from them.

I later read about E-bikes and the legality of riding them at Annadel, and was turned off from the shop when I learned that the salesman was either blatantly lying or misinformed.

One Saturday a few months ago when I was at the shop that demos the bikes, they were sponsoring a Specialized demo day. I talked to a guy who was demoing an E-bike. He clearly either didn’t know that they were not legal to ride in the park, or didn’t care because the shop was promoting them, guided a demo ride in the park with them and offered to credit back the cost of his demo toward the purchase.

The demo day was also being held on a particularly muddy wet Saturday, where you would like to think good stewards of the trails would not guide a commercial demo day with 30 riders to sell bikes at the expense of eroding and rutting the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
682 Posts
With how many ebikes are at Annadel at any given time, and what seems to be a clear lack of enforcement, an uniformed bike salesman may not know that e-bikes are actually 'against the rules.' Not everything is a conspiracy to sell more e-bikes.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Are you kidding? The dealer can't keep track of government regulations. The guy should've checked.
In which case it's fine to say "I don't know" or "a lot of people ride there but I'm not sure".

Unequivocally saying yes is a bad move on their part though.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Agree with all the sentiments presented here:

1) I don't like to lied to
2) I don't like misinformation
3) I should do my own research
4) I shouldn't care given I poach trails

How many folks going over the speed 15mph limit on many off road and paved trials here? Guilty.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I also like present an alternative view. Deferred responsibility.

I think your friend really wants to ride with your crew. He wants to believe everything he's doing is legit and by getting confirmation from the LBS and not doing his own research could have been a subconscious way of deferring responsibility and fell less guilty about it when he ultimately does poach on his ebike.

We see this in the corporate world everyday, from Boeing to exec teams hiring consultants that create a "responsibility buffer" to validate a tough decision they already made.

It's human nature. End of the day he just wants to ride. Now he needs to get over his guilt or shame he has in owning an ebike.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.