Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
keystone addict
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '06 vp-free has one hell of a creaky lower vpp link. I've learned that near-deaf seniors listening to ipods in the middle of a tornado can hear me coming from five miles away. As the broke (and cheap) teen that I am, I'm wondering if it would do any good to spray wd-40 (or silicone?) on the pivots to help alleviate the problem. Any cheap fix ideas are appreciated.

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
mothahucker said:
My '06 vp-free has one hell of a creaky lower vpp link. I've learned that near-deaf seniors listening to ipods in the middle of a tornado can hear me coming from five miles away. As the broke (and cheap) teen that I am, I'm wondering if it would do any good to spray wd-40 (or silicone?) on the pivots to help alleviate the problem. Any cheap fix ideas are appreciated.
It'll work. For about a day. You need to remove the lower links and re-grease them to fix them more definitively. That'll solve the issue until the next time the bike gets wet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Lubricating the squeak will likely take it away, but don't use WD40, it 'dries out' into an abrasive paste. Just get your allen wrench set out, pull that pivot apart (don't be scared! it's easier than changing a tyre!), and replace the bearings if you can get to them. Go to the local bearing shop or equivalent and see if they have the same bearing size and rating, and you'll save a lot of dollars for possibly a superior part.
Otherwise be a lazy bugger like me, put teflon lube on, and ride it till it breaks and you have to take it apart and find the frame is badly damaged by that squeak which wouldn't go away. One pivot not working can put stress on other pivots, as well as on the ears of those poor half-deaf ipod wearing seniors.... and we all know to respect our elders :p

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
mothahucker said:
best way is to take apart pivots....clean them real good and regrease.....

wd40 will attract more dirt and in the long run the noise will come back louder

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm wondering why no one has explained that the W-D in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, which means just that - it is intended to DISPLACE WATER it is not a lub like grease or oil of some kind.

Tri-flo is a lub in a spray form (so that may have the effects everyone is talking about to help with the creaking)

BUT

it will attract dirt (as bob said) and dry out after a while (as someone else said)

Phil Wood water proof grease is nice in SMALL amounts at just the right places for curing what ails you and your bike.

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
Be cautious with WD-40 on anything that needs grease. IMO,... no WD ever touches my rigs. Sounds like you need to pull the pivot bearings and rebuild them.

·
GRAVITY IS GOOD
333 Posts
General Havoc said:
I'm wondering why no one has explained that the W-D in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, which means just that - it is intended to DISPLACE WATER it is not a lub like grease or oil of some kind.

Tri-flo is a lub in a spray form (so that may have the effects everyone is talking about to help with the creaking)

BUT

it will attract dirt (as bob said) and dry out after a while (as someone else said)

Phil Wood water proof grease is nice in SMALL amounts at just the right places for curing what ails you and your bike.
Wow, when I saw the name of this thread I wanted to jump in and explain what W.D. stood for, but I see someone beat me to it. It is true, it stands for water displacement, and all it does is repel water, will not lubricate. Initially it appears to be a lubricant, but that is the byproduct of the ingredients. Over time it will turn out to be a nightmare as it will cause accelerated wear and will shorten the life of whatever it has been applied to. Hope this helps and spread the word.

·
NICE KID...NICE
717 Posts
I am not sure if this answers you question

mkrobert81 said:
We recently did a complete bearing /pivot rebuild on a Santa Cruz Blur and the customer was charge for the bearing kit by Santa Cruz....And I believe he was the original owner. But they do have very detailed literature on bearing rebuilds out there. That is a question that can only be really answered by a rep or someone who has had that happen.

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
This is why I shake my head when I see the FOOLS spraying down their bikes with the high pressure hoses every time I go to whistler.... spraying water on your bike is one of the quickest ways to ensure you get short life from bearings/pivots/hubs/etc.

·
Go for the throat
173 Posts
What is it with SC bikes and creaky pivots? I just got a frame replacement on a heckler (down tube snapped in half) and after a month or so of riding it's already creaking loudly. I should mention that cs was good for the frame replacement process. I've heard it mentioned somewhere that it's partly the result of poor frame alignment. I don't know if it's that or cheap bearings, but the conditions I've been riding in haven't been that bad and it seems a little early for a bearing overhaul.

·
oh Lucky me
705 Posts
HOFFMAN223 said:
. Over time it will turn out to be a nightmare as it will cause accelerated wear and will shorten the life of whatever it has been applied to. Hope this helps and spread the word.
OOOPS!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

lol, i ran out of chain lube last night, and ended up dropping (a very small amount) of WD40 on my chain to get me through....

im goin to the LBS tonight! :madman: :madman:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.