Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I now have a 2002 tracer. Built up as:
03 talas, 03 AVA R Propedal, DT XR 4 d/CK wheelset, 04' XT crankset, sram X7.0 RD and shifters, XT FD, easton XC CF bar, Salsa stem, CC headset & avid mech 185mm front, 160 rear.

The LBS has a 04' enduro expert that i can get for around 2K. What i'd do was swap out the wheelset, crankset, bar, stem and brakes then sell the tracer for something around 1000 to 1500. So far im thinking that the purchase, swap and selling would be a wash in terms of cash. Am i just tunnel vision on this? am i missing anything you guys/gals can think of.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Not quite sure I follow...

jrm said:
I now have a 2002 tracer. Built up as:
03 talas, 03 AVA R Propedal, DT XR 4 d/CK wheelset, 04' XT crankset, sram X7.0 RD and shifters, XT FD, easton XC CF bar, Salsa stem, CC headset & avid mech 185mm front, 160 rear.

The LBS has a 04' enduro expert that i can get for around 2K. What i'd do was swap out the wheelset, crankset, bar, stem and brakes then sell the tracer for something around 1000 to 1500. So far im thinking that the purchase, swap and selling would be a wash in terms of cash. Am i just tunnel vision on this? am i missing anything you guys/gals can think of.
I am a dumb blonde so forgive me in advance me but are you saying you would get the complete bike for $2000 and then sell your Tracer frame with the wheelset, cranks, bar, stem, and brakes from the Enduro?

Regardless, I think I would take a step back and ask (if you have not already) why you would want the Enduro? This is a great bike for sure but I would personally rather have the Tracer. Is the Enduro a frame you had wanted all along and this great deal is now making you take it serious or is the great deal making you think about this frame switch?

If in your mind you do in fact want to change your frame, would the Enduro be one of the frames you would consider changing to? If not, good deal or not, it does not seem like you should jump into it for the sake of change and getting a good deal. At the end of the day, if it is not really what you wanted to do, the good deal may be erased after you make the further changes accordingly.

Again, the Enduro is a great frame but better than the Tracer???? and would it actually give you anything more on the trails...I am not sure.....

Just my humble opinion (having owned a 2003 Tracer and recently changing the frame to something else).

Cheers

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
reasons

FoShizzle said:
I am a dumb blonde so forgive me in advance me but are you saying you would get the complete bike for $2000 and then sell your Tracer frame with the wheelset, cranks, bar, stem, and brakes from the Enduro?

Regardless, I think I would take a step back and ask (if you have not already) why you would want the Enduro? This is a great bike for sure but I would personally rather have the Tracer. Is the Enduro a frame you had wanted all along and this great deal is now making you take it serious or is the great deal making you think about this frame switch?

If in your mind you do in fact want to change your frame, would the Enduro be one of the frames you would consider changing to? If not, good deal or not, it does not seem like you should jump into it for the sake of change and getting a good deal. At the end of the day, if it is not really what you wanted to do, the good deal may be erased after you make the further changes accordingly.

Again, the Enduro is a great frame but better than the Tracer???? and would it actually give you anything more on the trails...I am not sure.....

Just my humble opinion (having owned a 2003 Tracer and recently changing the frame to something else).

Cheers
The enduro has more travel, a lower BB and longer wheelbase. I would sell the tracer complete with a mix of those poarts i put on the frame and those transferred from the enduro. One thing that comes to mind is that for less than the price of the enduro i can get a used 5spot frameset.....huh then all id do is transfer the parts and have to buy a seatpost.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
I hear yuh...

jrm said:
The enduro has more travel, a lower BB and longer wheelbase. I would sell the tracer complete with a mix of those poarts i put on the frame and those transferred from the enduro. One thing that comes to mind is that for less than the price of the enduro i can get a used 5spot frameset.....huh then all id do is transfer the parts and have to buy a seatpost.
That was kind of my point. Good deal aside, what frame do you really want? I realize the Enduro has more travel but I dont really see it as a significant improvement (over the Tracer) enabling you to really ride more aggressively (comfortably) as it sounds like your reference to more travel and longer wheelbase suggests you want. I just think with such a solid trailbike like the Tracer (which frankly everything will have a lower bracket than), you really need to step beyond an Enduro to make it worth it (on the trail) in my opinion. You mention one bike in your response that I think does warrant a frame change if you are looking to do tougher riding or do the same aggressive riding more effectively. The 5 Spot has to be on the list as it is undeniably an incredible do-it-all bike. I think other rides such as the Foes FXR and X-5 are other examples of bikes that really make for a different enough of a ride from than the Tracer to justify switching it out whereas I just dont "personally" see that the Enduro gives enough extra to justify it but then again, I dont have much time on the newer ones.

Cheers and good luck

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Perfection does get boring.

Go for some demo rides or just test rides on the Enduro and other bikes. I'm always glad to get back on my Tracer after a test ride or demo and I appreciate what a great bike it is. The only thing that beacons me now is at least 2 more inches in travel with just about as good climbing in a bike within a pound of weight of the Tracer. But more travel means I'd have to ride faster or get bigger air to kick the adrenaline in by scaring myself at the edge of handling control and where I live it's always potentially too populated around each blind corner to ride as fast as I want to already. So there's not much point in getting more travel except for trips to the less crowded Sierra or out of state. So I'm thinking that I want to demo some longer travel, good pedaling bikes in Moab and Downieville or Northstar but not own one and that way save thousands of dollars for a more advanced 6 inch travel design in a year or two from now that’s lighter, stronger, and even more refined than what's available now. I'm thinking a light weight 29'er rigid or with 80mm fork might be a real different alternate bike for my area for longer distance fireroad and smoother singletrack but I want to demo one on familiar trails to see if I'd ride it much, both short test rides of 29'ers revealed that the front tire washes out in tight corners pretty easy, but maybe they just aren't meant for hard cornering.

- ray

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"i've been on the tracer for a while now

derby said:
Perfection does get boring.

Go for some demo rides or just test rides on the Enduro and other bikes. I'm always glad to get back on my Tracer after a test ride or demo and I appreciate what a great bike it is. The only thing that beacons me now is at least 2 more inches in travel with just about as good climbing in a bike within a pound of weight of the Tracer. But more travel means I'd have to ride faster or get bigger air to kick the adrenaline in by scaring myself at the edge of handling control and where I live it's always potentially too populated around each blind corner to ride as fast as I want to already. So there's not much point in getting more travel except for trips to the less crowded Sierra or out of state. So I'm thinking that I want to demo some longer travel, good pedaling bikes in Moab and Downieville or Northstar but not own one and that way save thousands of dollars for a more advanced 6 inch travel design in a year or two from now that?s lighter, stronger, and even more refined than what's available now. I'm thinking a light weight 29'er rigid or with 80mm fork might be a real different alternate bike for my area for longer distance fireroad and smoother singletrack but I want to demo one on familiar trails to see if I'd ride it much, both short test rides of 29'ers revealed that the front tire washes out in tight corners pretty easy, but maybe they just aren't meant for hard cornering.

- ray
Its been great but as i ride it more i seem to identify more things that it doenst share with more recent and refined designs. I eman its a 5 year design thats never been refined or updated at all except for structural improvements in order to counter failure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts