Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

FM said:
I wouldn't think so- it's not at a stress riser area. If it was on the bottom of your down-tube, right behind the headset, I'd be concerned.

I don't think you have anything to worry about though. Some silver nail-polish and you're good to go.

QUOTE=jrm]http://www.pbase.com/image/32156619

Any comments are appreciated
[/QUOTE]

I just wanted some kinda confirmation before i pulled the trigger. Thanks again

·
Registered
850 Posts
Its a frame for sale. Ive seen it on Ridemonkey. He is probably wanting advice before commiting to the purchase. I cant say if its a problem or not. Depends on how low the price is i guess.,......

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
location of dent

jrm said:
From my discussion with the seller the dent is on the downtube just above the "T" in turner decal. In that case it puts the dent near the center point of the downtube. Also the lack of much of a shadow kinda depicts the dent being shallow. Seller said tha the dent is from the bike coming down on rock with seller still on the bike. In the worst case scenario how much can a crash replacement front triangle cost...

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually

CrashTheDOG said:
If that's the case I'd walk unless you're getting one helluva deal.
looking at MA's foto and then thinking about the location of the dent it seems more like the dents up near the headtube and looks like its from a fork crown....

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
jrm said:
looking at MA's foto and then thinking about the location of the dent it seems more like the dents up near the headtube and looks like its from a fork crown....
It isn't near the head tube, it's on the driveside closer to the BB.

There is a drive side and a non-driveside sticker. The driveside has the little ray-like thingies coming from the "T" while the non-driveside doesn't.

I wouldn't be worried about a ding like that.

·
Registered
850 Posts
jrm said:
Look at the pic again.... see the blue knob in the upper left corner? That dent looks to be in the middle of the downtube....

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
....I know the seller (Andrew), & he is a good kid. It's my understanding that he rented the bike, dinged it & therefore bought it. A bunch of guys I know made the pilgrimmage from VA to Whistler with several stops along the way.....

·
Registered
168 Posts
that ding could cause quite a stress riser in your tube... Even if the frame is almost new I would only offer him a not very high price for purchase. Because who wants to be stuck with replacing a front triangle in the future (even though Turner CS is prime) You still get stuck with a replacement and rebuilding cost (which is time of the bike and that is not what a turner rider wants)

See how low you can go, if its only a small discount get a new spot... (or wait a little for another to show up here or on ebay)

greetz
bettes

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lets here it for reading comprehension..

Pete said:
It isn't near the head tube, it's on the driveside closer to the BB.

There is a drive side and a non-driveside sticker. The driveside has the little ray-like thingies coming from the "T" while the non-driveside doesn't.

I wouldn't be worried about a ding like that.
went back and read the ad. I confused whether the bike was being viewed from the front or the back.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The dent itself looks pretty innocuous. I would not stress over it too much. There seems to be a bit of a gouge down in the bottom of the dent though, as if the rock scraped material away. Pushing the tube in a touch is one thing, but removing material is another. If it is just a paint scratch down in the dent, I would not worry. It is cosmetic, but deserving of a pretty steep discount nonetheless.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
bettes said:
that ding could cause quite a stress riser in your tube... Even if the frame is almost new I would only offer him a not very high price for purchase. Because who wants to be stuck with replacing a front triangle in the future (even though Turner CS is prime) You still get stuck with a replacement and rebuilding cost (which is time of the bike and that is not what a turner rider wants)

See how low you can go, if its only a small discount get a new spot... (or wait a little for another to show up here or on ebay)

greetz
bettes
....I believe it's currently $1050 OBO....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts