Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
It depends on the bike

My bike was engineered to handle up to a 150 mm fork. Check with Specialized, but if the fork you had on it was close to what the bike was made to handle, the jump looks pretty big (2+ inches??) and may have a significant effect on handling.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, its two inches travel difference, which is why i asked, cuz if its too much i can have a freidn take it down to 5in.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
In general terms

ANdRewLIu6294 said:
yeah, its two inches travel difference, which is why i asked, cuz if its too much i can have a freidn take it down to 5in.
An inch or so won't effect the geometry much, nor will it have much effect on the bike from the standpoint of stress on the head tube/welds. The more you increase the travel on the fork, the more these become issues. Again, check with Specialized and see what they recommend. I can't imagine catastrophic failure is much fun.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i'll check with specialized sometime, but with correct sag, the difference (which is around 3cm) sould be even more negligeble, since i had NO sag with the old fork, even with preload set to none, but it still bottomed easily, cuz it had no damping

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i would've done that, i was just worried about some stress issues.

BTW, sorry for the almond near the rear wheel, we just had a party last night. lol :)

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,911 Posts
ANdRewLIu6294 said:
Two inches is a huge difference. My Pike has just under 2 inches of adjustment range (45mm), and the difference from one end to the other is like night and day. I think that 2" will slacken your head angle about 3 degrees. If you have felt that your fork is way to short and the steering too twitchy, then you may like it, but it will definitely ride differently. My guess is that if the bike was designed for a 4" fork, then a 5" will feel better than a 6"

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
It looks like the distance axle to crown is less than 2 inches, but it's hard to tell from the photo; the a-c height has more to do with how your big a difference between these forks will be as far as fitting your bike and the effect on handling.

·
nachos rule!
390 Posts
i'd say a lot depends on what you like to ride. if you're primarily into ripping it at speed, it should be awesome. if you're more into slow speed tech kinda stuff, it's gonna be a slug. i wouldn't worry about stressing the frame unless you're airing it out a lot and landing to flat.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
You don't mention your riding style... judging by the helmet in the pic, you're already doing some jumping on your frame.

As Supercorsa said, it might feel better for you at 6" travel... but with jumping it will destroy your frame, it's a matter of time. At least it will ovalize your headtube and you'll eat headsets for breakfast.

Also, Marzocchi's are known to have higher Axle-to-Crown measurements than comparable travel forks from other manufacturers.

I'd say you should keep it at 5". It will make your frame last longer while you save for a real big-hit frame to go with your fork.

Before I forget... the seat angle will slacken too... that will make the bike to wheelie/manual easily, but will make it pedal for sheit.

Have fun!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, i usually go really fast everywhere, and sometimes catch air pretty frequently, but ever since the accident, i've been landing on trannies, since doing a drop to flat got me hurt really badly. and the drops to tranny i do are no bigger than 6ft at most

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
ANdRewLIu6294 said:
yeah, i usually go really fast everywhere, and sometimes catch air pretty frequently, but ever since the accident, i've been landing on trannies, since doing a drop to flat got me hurt really badly. and the drops to tranny i do are no bigger than 6ft at most
Get a better frame, dude!

I don't want to be an arse... but you're looking to kill yourself riding that frame they way you ride.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, i know, but i cant rely afford a better frame right now, since the fork was more of an issue, i wrecked the first one twice.

but then again, im not that heavy at all, 110lbs, and im 13, so it wont stress the frame as much as with a 150 or 170lb guy.

the part where the headtube is welded onto the tubing is thicker than the rest of the headtube, and if my eyes serve me right, it should be around 4-5mm thick, which i think is thick as hell, but i'll still probably ovalize it.

the spring in the fork is so soft that when i sit on it, the ride height will be the same as if the fork were at 5in, and even possibly less.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts