Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my wife a Specialized Hard Rock for fire roads and some minor (very minor) single track.

She was riding on a paved path and was forced to stop suddenly because of a child. She slammed the brakes and went over the bars (got bruised up). The right brake must have hit the ground and bent downward. She was in pain, but upset about her bike (under 2 miles on it).

I know the bike is low end, but would specialized warranty this? It is the 1-piece assembly.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Rider error. It's all part of the game. Warranties pay for defects, not for damage.

PS- it's so sugarcoated and sappy and displaying too much about how you were being responsible and sacrificed your bike to save a child's life. Don't send this JRA story to Specialized. It will get laughed at. Parts are cheap.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Shimano makes good parts. If you got a bike for your wife with lower end Shimano, it's not their fault that you cheaped out and bought something lower end for her.

Also of note, I've bent levers on high end brakes. Do you think higher end stuff is somehow immune to bending or breakage? I have several Hope levers that I've successfully bent back into shape. Big deal. If the brake you have is as cheap as you make out, it will be cheap to go to an LBS and get it replaced.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
J-Chicken... Thanks for the commentary. She rides family trails on Long Island. I did not see the need to get her a Safire. So I "cheaped out" by going to a local bike shop, the same shop I purchased my Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe -despite her wanting a Pacific from the WalMart (she just wanted a bike). She picked it out after riding a few different models (including WSDs).

I know she fell. I know it was rider error. I didn't know Shimano made parts out of aluminum foil (high end or low end).

Have a great day. Thanks for the "help."

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Apparently your expectations of how parts withstand impacts are not realistic. How do you expect such tiny psrts to withstand forces they aren't designed for? Would you expect your car's fenders to withstand impacts with other objects unscathed?

It doesn't matter what level the trails are. Impacts are impacts and people fall all the time. This is a sport that will require attention and replacement parts.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
1. If you knew it was rider error, why did you post a question wondering if Specialized would cover it under warranty?

2. Shimano does make good parts, but things sometimes break when you crash--it doesn't make them bad products.

3. How much could a low-end brake lever possibly cost over the internet? $10? Just replace it and go ride!

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
deftones156 said:
1. If you knew it was rider error, why did you post a question wondering if Specialized would cover it under warranty?

2. Shimano does make good parts, but things sometimes break when you crash--it doesn't make them bad products.

3. How much could a low-end brake lever possibly cost over the internet? $10? Just replace it and go ride!
For point one, it's "entitlement". Some people, especially some in the region of the country proudly mentioned by the OP, feel a sense of entitlement and feel their demands should be met by above and beyond responses because they're spending their hard-earned dollars and they can scream on the internet and make the companies sorry for ever denying their little demands. You can scroll back through the posts and see it start right from the beginning. The manufacturer does not deserve that level of treatment and the idea has to get out that warranties are not to satisfy feelings of entitlement or rider/user error. Too many consumers somehow feel in the bike industry that all damage is covered for some reason, while they would never think of getting a warranty on their car if they damaged something due to an accident or negligence.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jerk Chicken - You never met me. You have no clue what I think. You should keep you mouth shut about what I am feeling. I asked a question about part the I felt may have bent a little to easy. I asked if you specialized owners feel it may be covered by Specialized. GFY.

nachomc - Thank you for help!

·
(not that fast)
954 Posts
FWIW, if you replace it, don't tighten the mounting bolt super tight. If it happens again, it may pivot on the bar as opposed to bending. (I'm assuming the bend would have been avoided using this knowledge)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
For point one, it's "entitlement". Some people, especially some in the region of the country proudly mentioned by the OP, feel a sense of entitlement and feel their demands should be met by above and beyond responses because they're spending their hard-earned dollars and they can scream on the internet and make the companies sorry for ever denying their little demands.
This comment is like a bad car crash. You don't wanna look and just keep going but it is soo outrageous, I can't pass by it w/out a comment. By "especially" are you saying people from the NY area, heck maybe from all of Northeast are more entitled than other parts of the country???? Dude you might have a general point, but the way you express it, like stating the OP "proudly" mentioned his location, sounds like you have been listening a little too much to Rush Limbaugh...:p

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Ok, so better wording is that there is an overwhelming sense of entitlement sometimes, and I detected it here in this thread. Manufacturers don't need to cover what people break just because they will complain and cry and think they have a claim. I worked at a bike shop and the ridiculous things people would do, and think they could flame and come in screaming and we'd budge just to quiet them down because we wouldn't want the trouble.

:)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Ok, so better wording is that there is an overwhelming sense of entitlement sometimes, and I detected it here in this thread. Manufacturers don't need to cover what people break just because they will complain and cry and think they have a claim. I worked at a bike shop and the ridiculous things people would do, and think they could flame and come in screaming and we'd budge just to quiet them down because we wouldn't want the trouble.

:)
Nice, real nice :D

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Jerk chicken - I think you're a know it all ******* who probably needs to play blind folded in traffic. Please, somebody explain how describing the problem and how it occurred was showing entitlement. Tell me how I was crying. Then because I am from Long Island / New York / North East / America I am especially worse? Explain how?

The component sare cheap shitmano. The same as if they were cheap s(hit)-rams that bend as easy they did.

I have a finger pointed at ya Jerk - guess which 1? Hint...not the index, pinkie, thumb or ring.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.