Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45745&eid=4950&menuItemId=9248

I havent rode it yet. I went to test drive them today but it was raining and they wouldnt let me ride it. They didnt have my size either. I have no idea the price yet we are buying 3 bikes and they will make a good deal.

I will go ride one my size Monday what should I look for? What question should I ask and what bike similar should I go ride to see if this is the bike I want.

I've looked at also the specialized pitch comp. I was just thinking the other bike will give me a better more all-around bike so I have a better expirence. What do you guys think?

I am also wondering how much I can expect to get dicounted and how much I can talk them down. I think they ought to make money I just want to get the best price and I am curious how far I can go an idea on how much they get the bike for would be awesome to have in order to negotiate. Thanks for any and all advice.

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
Relax

My first bike was a Schwinn with sissy bars and a raccoon tail on the rear thingy bob. I graduated to a Raleigh Chopper!

That was forty years ago.. so a new bike is just a bike waiting to be replaced with a better bike.
Now I have a few bikes, my favorite is a Cannondale Prophet with lots of good stuff.

Get a hard tail first and learn to ride fast. Then you will know what you want. No one is you. Pedal a mile in your shoes...then go much faster.

The shops will move some, but don't make that your mission. Find a bike that feels good and get 10% for the "group buy".

Just my thoughts on this.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Prophet Julio said:
My first bike was a Schwinn with sissy bars and a raccoon tail on the rear thingy bob. I graduated to a Raleigh Chopper!

That was forty years ago.. so a new bike is just a bike waiting to be replaced with a better bike.
Now I have a few bikes, my favorite is a Cannondale Prophet with lots of good stuff.

Get a hard tail first and learn to ride fast. Then you will know what you want. No one is you. Pedal a mile in your shoes...then go much faster.

The shops will move some, but don't make that your mission. Find a bike that feels good and get 10% for the "group buy".

Just my thoughts on this.
X 2 , make sure it fits correctly .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ride fast like the speed I move or the time on my learning curve. Is a hard tail the consensus? I've heard that but I was under the impression that it was because you can get a upper end hardtail for the same price or cheaper than a lower end full suspension?

·
bike-zilla
241 Posts
I second the hardtail- much simpler, less maintenance, a better tool for learning how to ride.
True you can get a decent FS for the price of a hardtail, but after riding for a year or two you will have a much better idea of what bike you want to own when it is time to upgrade

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
olkeller said:
Ride fast like the speed I move or the time on my learning curve. Is a hard tail the consensus? I've heard that but I was under the impression that it was because you can get a upper end hardtail for the same price or cheaper than a lower end full suspension?
A hardtail will make you a better bike handler , hone your skills on a hardtail , when you do get f/s you will be a better rider because of the time spent on your hardtail . FWIW , I have several f/s rides , but for this race season I will be on a hardtail .

·
Registered
26 Posts
How old are you? Are you a big person?
What kind of riding are you planning on doing?
How close to good riding are you? If its a long drive, you may want to get a HT first.
Just to see if you are going to stick with it.
Or,,,
You buy the bike that gives you wood after riding around the parking lot down the street and back.
Make sure the fit is correct.
Many dealers have somebodies "system" for measuring their customers, and if you spend a goodly amount of moola, they should make the needed swaps to make the bike fit better (riser, bars, seatpost angle etc.) for little or nothing.
I was checking out these "systems" today and there are about 8 or 9 of them to choose from.
Anyway, fit, and feel, are whats important, oh yeah, price too.
It sure is funny how a FS bike that has a retail over 4500$ in 2009 sell for 3500$ a year later, still new in the shop.
Shop wisely, and keep the rubber side down!

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
That would be an awesome first trail bike that can grow with you! And I emphasize trail bike! Don't buy it to ride to the minimart!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im 28 average build and unsure exactly what kind of riding I'll do. I am an avid outdoorsman and have been familar with the land around my house long before it became over-ran with mountain bikers, I am kinda suscribing to the cant beat them join them theory. I say that because I hope all my riding is out in the desert on trails in the middle of nowhere. I live in southern Utah Right now I could walk to a ride called the JEM trail, not to mention the millions of singletrack trails I have come across in my adventures on foot. I could easily drive 10 to 20 min and hit vacation destination trails daily if wanted and a desent varity of them. So my idea is that I want to get into a hobby that my family can do as well and right now my 15 year old boy(I know with the 28 year-old comment above the math doesnt make alot of sense its a complicated story) Is gun ho and gas been for ever about bikes and now he has graduated from bmx to mountain and I see it as a positive thing to get behind him on. Thats also why I figured fs because If I'm going to be out there chasing him and his friends around I want to be as comfortable as possible. I could get a hardtail I actually have one I bought a couple years ago I just never rode it offrode much.

Sorry I didnt know I would write a novel and its probally not the easiest read.

·
Registered
699 Posts
First, to get a deal, look for someone who has a 2009 in your size in stock. You can often get 25% off on last year's model. On this year's model, you might get something off, but not much, especially since you said they don't have your size and have to order it.

The bike you're looking at is more than good enough for a beginner, but do you need disk brakes? The same model without them is $200 less. You're planning on off road riding in the desert. Disk brakes give you extra stopping power on asphalt, but off road you run out of tire traction before you run out of rim brake- i.e. you can just about always lock your tires with rim brakes. The other time disk brakes help is in mud. Rim brakes get clogged and don't work well. But, you're in the desert, right? How long is your rainy season? How much mud do you get?

Full suspension is nice for off road. I have to admit that. There's nothing wrong with hardtails, and they are less expensive, but softies are easier on the bottom.

If you're price conscious, and you're not a 'Specialized Guy,' remember that most other makers make similar bikes. Consider a Trek Fuel or Giant Trance as well if you've got dealers in the area. Those, of course, are the big three. There are a lot of smaller makers that make nice bikes, but sometimes finding a stocking dealer is hard. And consider warranties as well. Specialized is good, and I did have a dealer who stocked multiple brands tell me Specialized was the easiest to work with for claims (and he wasn't trying to sell me a bike at the time).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts