Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend offered me his bike rack. i have hyperlinked two images of it.

i am asking those with experience or insight if this bike rack can safely and securely transport my bike during the car ride? i typically need not to drive more than 20 minutes. currently, i am moving my bike by stashing the frame in the car with the two wheels removed and in the trunk.

the bike rack requires the top tube to sit on top of the locking mechanism. will this damage my cables that run under my bike's top tube?

photo one

photo two

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
my friend offered me his bike rack. i have hyperlinked two images of it.

i am asking those with experience or insight if this bike rack can safely and securely transport my bike during the car ride? i typically need not to drive more than 20 minutes. currently, i am moving my bike by stashing the frame in the car with the two wheels removed and in the trunk.

the bike rack requires the top tube to sit on top of the locking mechanism. will this damage my cables that run under my bike's top tube?

photo one

photo two
Definitely better than doing what you're doing. If you have a carbon frame, make sure to protect the frame from rubbing on the rack. The rubber top tube pads have channels for the cables.

Take it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The cables should be fine, this has been a method to transport bicycles for a long time. It's more prone to scratching the frame though. And you need to make sure you have an adequate top tube to use with that. I don't think I could get my Stumpjumper FSR to sit on a rack like that without trying really hard. And it would be so awkwardly balanced I don't know if I would trust it (top tube is very steep).

I'd assume it is capable of carrying and distributing the weight of your bike well enough.

Note: I have never used a rack that like but I do see them all over town quite a bit. Including some of those awkward frame designs.

Consider looking at other racks and compare the price difference. You are okay with spending $50. Can you find a suitable rack for a decent price difference from $50. A $100 rack only puts you out an extra 50-bucks (maybe that makes it sound cheaper hehe)

·
g=9.764m/s2
808 Posts
how is it more prone to scratching the frame? do you have any tips to protect the frame?
Two years of trucking my Zaskar semi-daily on a hitch mount rack like that completely wore through the paint at the strap from the bike movement during transport. On a trunk mount the lower part of the frame also lays against the rack. You may wrap the tubes in clear 'helicopter' tape to protect the paint. Many riders will wrap their entire bike just to protect it from the trail debris. Invisiframe also makes kits for this. Also, current MTB frame geometry results in the front wheel pointing toward the ground to the point one of my racks can no longer be used because the bike hits the ground as I exit the driveway. Carry bars are available that run between the seat post and the head tube to address both those issues.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Allen-Sp...3aQvbvbN3CywP01l_ZZk0t4zkUxmm1lxoCL8QQAvD_BwE

For about 300 the Kuat Transfer and a hitch is a great alternative. https://www.outdoorplay.com/kuat-transfer-1-bike-hitch-rack

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
Ya that rack will work fine but MAKE SURE STRAPS ARE TIGHT.

As for cables, they will be fine.

For paint issue, it was called "helicopter tape" by someone else but good luck finding it with that term. 3m leading edge/bra tape is what your looking for more specifically. Great stuff to protect paint. Popular for protecting carbon fiber mtb frames as well, does a great job of protecting both from rubbing and impacts.

Also if you care about your cars paint, that tape where the straps/pads rest is great too

Also a bungee cord to keep it from rocking back and forth is helpful as well.

I used a trunk rack for years and was fine. Not as nice as a tray style rack (which I have now and that kuat transfer one is way overpriced, I got the transfer 2 for that price years ago) which is much easier to use, but a trunk rack does the job.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Yep, straps should be tight, and keep an eye on wear. I had a Walmart trunk rack that held up until the strap just tore off one day I was installing it.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with a good rack being a "luxury". It's a one time investment, unless it's stolen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.