Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, upgrading a lower end Merida mtb, and was upgrading the fork, and making the transition to disc breaks. Just wondering if the attached disc breaks are able to mount to this fork? Thanks, if not looking for just some cheap ones, are there any other options that would be able to mount to it? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You know you also need a new hub or wheel for the rotor?

All standard post-mount brakes will fit... but even an entry level shimano hydraulic brake will outperform the best mechanical brake. I'd just go hydraulic considering the added $ is not much compared tot eh fork, hub, rotor and other cost of this upgrade.

Assuming the tabs are for 160mm rotor, you need an adapter for 180 or 203 mm rotor. I really recommend to go at least 180mm on front.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I'm not at all familiar with (or even recognize) the brakes in the picture, but that disk has too many slots for me. Seems to have more open space than actual brake surface. I may be wrong, but I see a warping disk in the future.

Agree with other's posts regarding getting an inexpensive brand name hydraulic brake over mechanical. Cutting corners in this department will lead to frustration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.