Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really like my old bike better than my new ds. but i would love a cassette that goes to 32 or 34.
( the chainrings are old xt 26-36-46 , and something lower than 26 in the front would also be nice.)
i dont mind if its 7 speed althought the thumb shifters seem to be 8 speed, or at least they have 7 clicks.
and i dont mind getting a longer cage derailler, as the max on mine is marked 28.
and i dont mind getting a new chain.
but will i also need a new rear wheel/hub ?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Shimano made a 14-32 7 speed cassette. You can also put a 24T small ring in front, this should give you a nice low gear :D

G

·
duke walker said:
the rest reads 14g ?h- m7?2...its getting a bit hard to read the number, but the bearings seem fine
that's the good old FH-M732. you can get a SRAM PG 730 12-32 7spd cassette on the bay for $10 which would work. larger than 32 is not really common.

Carsten

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
What Carsten said. Pretty common hub. Getting a 7spd cassette with a 32 shouldn't be too difficult.

If you're running compact cranks up front, you can go smaller than 24t little ring.

But finding the right cassette is the easy option.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks. where do you learn all these cool adjustments? not from shimano

great tip thank you. i was ready to buy a new derailler based on shimano specs. i guess thats their way.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
duke walker said:
great tip thank you. i was ready to buy a new derailler based on shimano specs. i guess thats their way.
The XT long cage RD-M737 can handle a 32T cog. It looks just like the earlier vintage XT cranks Shimano made. They're cheap on ebay.

Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.