Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I bought two Magicshine 808 bike lights many years ago in 2009. Not sure if it was geomangear, but email was [email protected]. I'm pretty sure my batteries were the ones that were catching fire.

Anyway, was very happy with light for the one season I used them. I then sold my MTB, stopped mountain biking, concentrated on Tri/Ironman. Started MTBing in 1991, just needed a break I guess.

Taking a year off from tri. Just bought a new MTB (Trek Fuel 29er). Love riding off road again. Want to get back out there at night.

My question is, should I

1)upgrade my lights

2)Buy new batteries and keep using the lights

3)Keep using the existing batteries, just charge them in a metal ammo box

Thanks!

·
mtbr member since 1996
1,173 Posts
Hello
I bought two Magicshine 808 bike lights many years ago in 2009. Not sure if it was geomangear, but email was [email protected]. I'm pretty sure my batteries were the ones that were catching fire.

Anyway, was very happy with light for the one season I used them. I then sold my MTB, stopped mountain biking, concentrated on Tri/Ironman. Started MTBing in 1991, just needed a break I guess.

Taking a year off from tri. Just bought a new MTB (Trek Fuel 29er). Love riding off road again. Want to get back out there at night.

My question is, should I

1)upgrade my lights

Thanks!
LiPo batteries are not something you want to mess around with. They can fail at any time. When riding your risk a dark ride back to the car (or much worse). When charging you can burn down your home. Sure a bucket and sand is a good safegaurd, but will you do that every time? Even then the smoke/vapor can cause problems.

In the RC world this is pretty common. Guys try to save $30 by using a bad pack. They end up with hundreds in damage to their home, model, or worse.

Dispose them properly and get new batteries. A high quality 6800mAh battery is just $29:
http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S024442....uality-Rechargeable-18650-Li-ion-Battery-Pack

$29 for peace of mind and high quality battery is well worth it.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
I've been out of the night riding scene for some time too. I have the same lights as you and here's what I've learned.

1. Definitely upgrade those batteries and toss them. Kadomain has the best deals, but if you want a U.S. distributor then action leds is the go to source. My batteries from action arrived in less than a week during the Christmas rush.

2. I would upgrade the lights if you have the budget.

Most people on the forum recommend the yinding and bt40s if you're on a tight budget. See my thread for links. and the light heads are 25-32 each.

If you can stretch it some action led has the magicshine lights and batteries.

For around 100 you can break into Ituo lights. They were designed based on what these users on the forum wanted in a light. I am interested in the xp2 115 light head and 150 kit and if you want even more light there's the xp3. They also have the wiz20. You can find review threads on basically any light you're interested in purchasing so check those out too.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hello

My question is, should I

1)upgrade my lights

Thanks!
Those old P-7 808's although at the time were ok (i had one), are like riding with candle light compared to whats available now for not huge money. Those single emitter lights were like riding with a flashlight, where now a two emitter lamp head with todays leds will not only give you all the light you would probably want,,, the beam pattern and optic options will open up night riding performance.

Concurring with Rods advice if you can afford it get something like the Ituo XP2 for $150. Well over twice the output and runtime of your old 808 and WAY better quality everything. If your budget is really tight get a new version of the 808 from Action with the BAK battery. You will be safe.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
There's currently a sale at action led for magicshine lights. The new version of the 808 with the BAK battery is currently 55.96. There's also free shipping on orders over $75. Enter the code magic20.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts