Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just wondering, what is the target use of the Jamis Komodo 1 ? could it survive DJ and hardtail freeride ?

has anyone actually seen those SR duro cranks on any other bike

what are your opinions ? I only ask because for some reason I think this bike is awesome. mostly for the pricetag of $660.00

what do you think this bike could take ? (w/o that stupid fork) I really like the frame too

just thought I would throw it out there. what is your opinion on this rig ? would it hold up to harsh riding ?

Attachments

·
Bad Hand In Life
154 Posts
I can't say anything about the bike as a whole, since I havn't ridden one. But, it looks quite good for the price. Also, I have those exact cranks on my FR bike, 50lb KHS FR2000. They have a steel inner and middle ring, so you will get less wear and chance of bending over aluminum rings (Typically). Otherwise, the cranks are a bit heavy, but stiff and strong.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IFELL said:
I can't say anything about the bike as a whole, since I havn't ridden one. But, it looks quite good for the price. Also, I have those exact cranks on my FR bike, 50lb KHS FR2000. They have a steel inner and middle ring, so you will get less wear and chance of bending over aluminum rings (Typically). Otherwise, the cranks are a bit heavy, but stiff and strong.
thats kinda suprizing, I thought they would have a lot of flex, most SR cranks that i've ridden were like that.

·
Registered
834 Posts
that looks pretty cool. my fiend had a hardrock and this looks a little better than that and he did a 61/2 foot drop almost to flat and it held up.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
i have the jamis eureka, i have it in the dirtjump version(smaller frame and parts are different dirtjumper 2 etc) its a great bike for starters but if your lookign for somethign to go and beat the **** out of i wouldnt get it. dont get me wrong i have done 5ft to flat with it but i had to beef up the wheels with 321's. its a decent weighted frame to. now the jamis komodo is basically a beefed up version of the eureka except for the chainstays i dotn know what they did there. if your really focussed on this bike then get it. its a great bike design and it can take some good abuse. but if your gonna be bailing, and puttign alot of stress on the frame then i wouldnt get it, id go for a steelhead or wait a month till its 2006 so many of the older bikes loose value

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
scabrider said:
that fork actually isn't that bad, the rebound is really slow so at least it won't feel like a pogo-stick. but for the most part it is a semi-okay fork and will hold up for a while...
really ? I rode one on the haro escape 8.1. I just kinda gave up on it after feeling the re-bound, didnt give it a chance, maybe its worth a second look ?

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
austinb89 said:
i have the jamis eureka, i have it in the dirtjump version(smaller frame and parts are different dirtjumper 2 etc) its a great bike for starters but if your lookign for somethign to go and beat the **** out of i wouldnt get it. dont get me wrong i have done 5ft to flat with it but i had to beef up the wheels with 321's. its a decent weighted frame to. now the jamis komodo is basically a beefed up version of the eureka except for the chainstays i dotn know what they did there. if your really focussed on this bike then get it. its a great bike design and it can take some good abuse. but if your gonna be bailing, and puttign alot of stress on the frame then i wouldnt get it, id go for a steelhead or wait a month till its 2006 so many of the older bikes loose value
naw, I was gonna use this bike mostly for its target purpose, more of a 4X but i'm a really smooth rider. my plans are to make my P.2 SS with the 06 DJ III and adrenaline tires. I'm trying to get rid of my XC bike, when thats gone this bike will mostly be my XC/AM/DJ bike :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bashed on an 03 Komodo for a wile, w/ a Jr T about a year (my first FR bike) it held up nice, and now my friend is rock'n it and he goes fairly big for his age and skill, holds up nice and I love / loved mine now I ride a Steel Head and I dont know which I would pick if I had a choice, BUT I cant tell you about there new bikes cuz I havent been on a komodo for awile. I heard that there Dakars were breaking allot? would that effect this bike?

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KomodoRider said:
I bashed on an 03 Komodo for a wile, w/ a Jr T about a year (my first FR bike) it held up nice, and now my friend is rock'n it and he goes fairly big for his age and skill, holds up nice and I love / loved mine now I ride a Steel Head and I dont know which I would pick if I had a choice, BUT I cant tell you about there new bikes cuz I havent been on a komodo for awile. I heard that there Dakars were breaking allot? would that effect this bike?
no, its a completly different frame than the dakar. the only thing I am concerned about would be those dropouts and the chainstays ...they look kinda ...odd. but I dont really care, if I break this frame, it's going to get replaced with a MC rumble or something similar. but I dont think it'll break.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Amazing Larry104 said:
that looks pretty cool. my fiend had a hardrock and this looks a little better than that and he did a 61/2 foot drop almost to flat and it held up.
well....this bike is going to do a LOT better than any hardrock

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would go for it. I work at a Jammis dealler and Jammis is really good about waranteeing anything. Any Jammis has a lifetime warranty. I really like the bikes that they are able to put together for the money.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SS4life said:
I would go for it. I work at a Jammis dealler and Jammis is really good about waranteeing anything. Any Jammis has a lifetime warranty. I really like the bikes that they are able to put together for the money.
yea, you cant really get anything like it for the price, it reminds me of when Specialized was a good deal :( like when my P.2 was 600 dollars.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fiddy_ryder said:
call up jenson usa.. i could have sworn i saw this frame for less than $100..
not the right frame, its like a 2004 FX ...and those just suck, plus they only sell them in a 12" for this frame the geo is completly different and the dropouts have changed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.