Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its a minute IT with abs+ damping, not spv. theres not actually a coil spring pushrod to purchase as im kind of frankenforking parts.

since i removed the spv damper assembly, the fork sags too much and i lose travel. its not an air spring issue or a setup issue, its has to do with losing the pressurized spv chamber. i think the negative air spring chamber was designed to compensate. now that the damper is changed, it doesnt work out so well.

i already have the coil spring and cap, the coil pushrod i purchased turned out not to work. would it be safe to remove the o-ring from my air spring assembly and install the coil spring on it? its concerning because its a plastic piston, but on the other hand that plastic piston does take 100+ psi of static pressure, plus how ever high it ramps up to under full compression.

anyone think its unsafe? breaking the piston sounds like a scary failure.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Are your trying to mimic the Mars air system, or just but a coil spring in that leg? I thought of doing that on my Nixon, but there is a separator pressed into that leg, which prevented me from just installing a coil spring.
Pics?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I investigated this with my Platnum Nixon. Yes, piston would be plunty stong enough but...

Elite spring OD just clears inside of tube, when compressed the spring gets more OD and binds.
Elite spring coil binds before full compression cause air pushrod comes too close to top of tube.

So get Elite pushrod...okay but nut at bottom of tube has aprox. 2" extension that has to be removed. No biggie but once you cut...

So get Elite bottom nut...Might not be same thread and dia...

If I only had a small lathe...

Oh yea, spring too big OD or tube too small ID to fit anyway...so my air to coil no go. Maybe Minute different...

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not trying to mimic the mars spring, all though i wouldnt mind having a mars spring either! i already have a nixon 145mm spring that id like to use. its pretty snug in there, i hope it doesnt bind.

i also have a RS tora 130mm u-turn spring which would work if the top cap was rethreaded down a size or two.. i dont want to lose that 10-15mm though.

i bought a 29er pushrod for a minute, but the stupid rod is a smaller diameter than a 26er minute, so it just falls right out of the bottom of the leg. doh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts