Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a freeride bike that will be more fun and flicky.
Even though I remember FSR being great for everything except pedaling, I'm considering a demo7.

Do you think I'll hate it after coming off the DW link (Sunday) or will the demo7's versitlity and all around fun factor be enough to overcome it?

·
Registered
708 Posts
it's personal dude, no one here can tell you if YOU will like it.
people can tell you THEIR experiences with DW & FSR.

as for me, I used to ride a FSR xc, and so far loved the rear suspension.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Remember that the bike will have 7" (or whatever you want) no matter how people try to sell you something with their sales campaign. Don't expect any unbiased replies to this post either.

If tou like the Sunday, why not try the 7 point or 6 point?

I had an IH SGS back in the day (FSR suspension). Now I'm on a Sunday. If the suspension is tuned correctly they should both ride good, which they do. The geo is more important than the "wheel path" of travel. The rear shocks have progressed so much in the last few years that you can tune a shock in to your preferences of suspension. Fahn

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I've got a Sunday and have owned long and short travel FSR bikes (Demo 9 and SX). I've also spent some time on an SXT.

My personal preference is DW. I think the wheel path is leads to better performance. FSR bikes tend to hang up on square edge hits.

I've never ridden a Demo 7 but people rave about them.

I've still got the Sunday, but have just sold the SX and replaced it with a Commencal Meta 4X - my preference again would be the Single pivot over the FSR - way stiffer and a better wheel path.

I'm considering selling the Sunday and getting a new DH supreme. Of course, Gee and Rachele's performance over the weekend has nothing to do with it.

I think the 6point would be great FR bike (unless your sending big gaps and hucks).

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have allways thought that a 7 point would be an excellent bike for what I want to do but I hate the fact that they have perhaps the worst resale value of any bike at the moment! 6 point is a step down a little to steep and short in the travel for what I want to do though.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Maybe I can help, I'm sort of in the same boat.

I have a 7 Point with a Roco TST-R coil and 200mm Travis. I rode at Whistler earlier this week and lent my 7 Point to my 15 yr old while I rented a Demo 7 one day.

The Demo 7 I rode had a too stiff 66RV fork that I didn't like at all so that effected my opinion but still I didn't think the rear suspension was as plush as the 7 Point. As such it may have had a little more 'pop' off jumps than my IH but the forks were so different it's hard to say for sure. My Travis TPC+ is super plush believe it or not. So if you want 'flicky' the Demo 7 may be a good choice, I certainly liked it.

I also rode a Norco A-line one day and didn't like the frame quite as much as the Demo even though the 888RV was much better than the 66. The rear end felt too soft to me but it could simply be a set up issue.

Anyway since my kid really likes my 7 Point I'm thinking about getting another long travel bike. I'm considering another 7 Point, the Demo 7 and a Sunday. I like my 7 Point but have a tough time buying a second one of the same thing even although they are cheap to buy.

The Sunday is appealing but I've been reading how you and many others don't think it's ideal as a bike for playing on trails like A-line. I'll only race one or two Dh's a year so I 'should' skip the Sunday.

The Demo 7 was nice, looks cool to me and would make a good all around bike that isn't a 7 Point doesn't pedal as well and costs more.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'm glad it helped because after I reread it I wasn't sure it made sense. I think there is a lot to thinking your bike is cool and good regardless of how it rides compared to other bikes. I think a 7 Point is worth considering. They don't hold their value but they don't cost much either. To me the steep head angle is the bikes biggest drawback and my 06 hardware is annoying.

I know you are over your Sunday. I expect you'd advise staying away from it for general dh riding as opposed to racing.

I rode one a few years ago with a 5th Element and it definitely stuck to the ground. The funny thing to me is that the Demo has somewhat similar geometry to the Sunday, slack head angle and long wheelbase. People say the Sunday geometry doesn't work for FR. I think it's the plush rear suspension, not the geometry (other than the low bb) that is the biggest factor. After all from the numbers I've read, the medium Demo 7 is longer than the Sunday. The Demo just seems better looking or cooler than a 7 Point to me, not necessarily better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
for what it's worth, i ride a 6 point converted to 7" with a DHX C 5.0, and a 66RC3...i love it. It does everything pretty decently as is very fun in the air and flickable. I loved the Sunday too, that's why i went with this bike when i wanted something a bit less DH oriented. I just don't like the 7 points much...too overbuilt and felt kinda tall to me.

my buddy rides a Demo 7 with a Totem air...and i have some time on it too. That thing is beyond sick, and as fun as any bike i've ever ridden. I covet it regularly. I felt instantly comfortable on it, and it's great in the air. it also soaks up rocks pretty well.

as stated it's about preference, but i doubt you'd regret buying a demo 7...they are awesome.

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice. I just had a local guy stop over last night to check out the bikes in person for a trade and we were both pretty happy with what eachother had to offer. It turns out we're both riding whistler this sunday so we'll be swapping off for a couple runs to give em a real test ride in the best place on earth for test rides! I keep you posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.