Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to the forum but not new to riding. I rode a Giant XTC this past weekend and I fell in love with it. It will be my first 29er. I have the option of going with the 2011 in white or the 2012 in grey with red. Both bikes are new. The LBS that has the 2012 is selling for $1,300 and the shop with the 2011 is willing to go $1,250. I understand that the component sets are almost identical so is it just a matter of preference of color and maybe a savings of $50?

2011 Giant XTC 2

Fork Marzocchi 44 TST2 w/15QR Thru Axle,Tapered Steerer, 100mm Travel
Handlebar Giant Contact, Flat 31.8
Stem Giant Sport
Seatpost Giant Sport, 30.9
Saddle Giant Performance MTB
Pedals Not Included
Drivetrain
Shifters Shimano Alivio, Rapidfire
Front Derailleur Shimano Alivio
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore, Top Normal
Brakes Shimano M445, [F] 180mm [R] 160mm
Brake Levers Shimano M445
Cassette Shimano HG61 12x36, 9-Speed
Chain Shimano HG-53
Crankset Shimano Alivio, 22/32/44
Bottom Bracket Shimano External
Wheels
Rims Giant S-XC2
Hubs [F] Giant Tracker Sealed w/ 15mm Axle, [R] Formula, 32h
Spokes Stainless Steel 14g
Tires Maxxis Aspen, 120 tpi, 29x2.1 Folding

2012 Giant XTC 2
Fork Marzocchi 44TST2 w/ 15mm Thru-Axle, OverDrive Steerer, 100mm Travel
Handlebar Giant Contact, Flat 31.8
Stem Giant Connect
Seatpost Giant Connect, 30.9
Saddle Giant Performance MTB
Pedals N/A
Drivetrain
Shifters Shimano Alivio, 3x9 Speed
Front Derailleur Shimano Alivio
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore
Brakes Avid Elixir 1, [F] 180mm, [R] 160mm
Brake Levers Avid Elixir 1
Cassette Shimano HG61, 12x36, 9-Speed
Chain Shimano HG-53
Crankset Shimano M542, 22/32/44
Bottom Bracket Shimano Press Fit
Wheels
Rims Giant S-XC29 2
Hubs [F] Giant Tracker Sealed/CNC w/ 15mm Axle, [R] Giant Tracker Performance, 32h
Spokes Stainless Steel
Tires Schwalbe Racing Ralph, 29x2.25 EVO Folding TL Ready

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I believe Giant also changed the headtube on the '12s. They seem to be creating their own standard here. Just another thing to consider...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe Giant also changed the headtube on the '12s. They seem to be creating their own standard here. Just another thing to consider...
Thanks, that's good to know. The bike I rode was an '11 so the '12 might have a totally different feel. I'm going to ride it later today so we'll see.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
90 Posts
The newer model year plus the Schwalbe tires are worth the $50 to me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I agree with daponik -- the tires alone are probably worth the price difference. For just a $50 difference I'd go for that. If it was more than that it would be a harder decision.

Either way it looks like a good ride -- good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. It rides like a dream compared to my old 26er. Did some light trails on Sunday just to get used to it. Can't wait for the next ride.

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
Not that it matters anymore, but only $50 off retail for a closeout bike is a rip off! They should have offered $100 accessories in shop credit or something. You must have given off the "I'm buying today" vibe so they knew they had you hooked;)

Good job on going for the '12! That grey is way sexier than white anyway;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree completely but I actually didn't give off that vibe. I told the guy that my existing bike was working just fine and I didn't need to buy a new bike. I even called him back and told him about the price of the 2012. I think he was very confident that he could sell it as they have been flying out of bike shops all over the place.

Either way, I am very happy with the purchase. Just hope winter holds off for a long time!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I know money doesn't grow on trees, but I would change out the wheelset, then the crank and maybe the fork. The fork is pretty nice but a little on the heavy side. The frame is pretty sweet. One of the few HT under $1300 with tapered head tube and 15mm thru axle. I got the 2011 for my girlfriend. Happy trails.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know money doesn't grow on trees, but I would change out the wheelset, then the crank and maybe the fork. The fork is pretty nice but a little on the heavy side. The frame is pretty sweet. One of the few HT under $1300 with tapered head tube and 15mm thru axle. I got the 2011 for my girlfriend. Happy trails.
I'm looking to upgrade as stuff wears out...do you have some recommendations? At a little over 6' and 230 lbs, I'm sure the wheels will be first to go! Not a huge fan of the rear brake, so I might change that right away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts