Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Arnborg strik
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Marzocchi recommends using 7,5wt. But i have some Motorex 5wt.
Would the fork be to "active" using 5 instead of 7,5 ?
Anybody tried it?

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
it won't change the damping much, because the damping cartridge is closed off from the rest of the fork. 5wt oil should work, but it won't change the performance to any noticable degree. I nearly always use 7wt in marzocchis.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
This raises an interesting question: if the primary damping is sealed, will there come a time when the fluid in the sealed internal damper needs changing?

I mean, if the rest of the fork fluid gets contaminated and or breaks down over time, what keeps the sealed cartridge fluid perpetually fresh? Is it because it does not have the derbris from the main bushings to deal with and is isolated by a second set of seals and oil bath?

Or do we have to chuck the sealed cartridge annually?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was told by the spanish distributor of marz. that the TST units can be opened an had the oil changed... what they didn't tell me was how to do it! Who is gonna be the first to open one up...? ;)

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Bikezilla said:
This raises an interesting question: if the primary damping is sealed, will there come a time when the fluid in the sealed internal damper needs changing?

I mean, if the rest of the fork fluid gets contaminated and or breaks down over time, what keeps the sealed cartridge fluid perpetually fresh? Is it because it does not have the derbris from the main bushings to deal with and is isolated by a second set of seals and oil bath?

Or do we have to chuck the sealed cartridge annually?
It should eventually need an oil change, but like a manitou TPC cart, I'd imagine that it would stay pretty good for a long time, due to it not being contaiminated by the springs and stanchions oxidizing.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Oxidation still occurs when submerged and/or coated in oil?
Well, odixation requires exposure to the air, so in the closed cartridge, this may not be an issue, also hard annodized parts can stave off oxidation, so the internals of the damper may not even be subceptible to it if that is the case, but it may not even be an issue due to it being "closed" from the enviroment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.