Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got a Hardrock Sport 29er, am 6ft 5" and must weight about 220lbs. I'm not into racing, mainly trail riding and commuting. Really enjoying my first 29er,would have been nice to get a rockhooper comp, but budget didn't stretch to that. At some point will want to try and reduce the weigh of the stock wheels. Money is finite, so is it worth getting the wheels rebuilt with better spokes and hubs? or buying pre-built better option. I weighed the front wheel on the bathroom scales and it said 2.3kg :eekster: , so room for improvement there.

The stock rims are Alex RHD's, which Alex tells me weigh in at 580g each. Which considering I could never run super light racing rims seems ok to me. Would only save 55g (per rim) by buying flows, and that would cost me NZ$170 per rim. So am I right in thinking I can save a reasonable amount of weight at a reasonable cost. I haven't discovered how much the stock tyres or hubs weight (anyone know?). But was thinking XT or Hope hubs (is that an overkill for my needs), DT spokes with the existing RHD rims. Then later on replace tyres with Kenda Karma's and a lighter cassette (easily save 120g for not much cash). By my calculations could get that front wheel down to 1.6kg, and save even more on the rear.

Or am I better off buying off the shelf wheelset? although not much choice in 29er pre-built wheels over here in NZ, and postage from the states wouldn't be cheap.

let me know what you think? cheers....

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Buy a new hand built wheelset...you'll save very little weight with spokes and XT hubs probably won't save any weight.

If you really want to shave a little weight for relatively cheap (compared to new wheels), replace the wire bead tires (~750 grams each) with a set of lighter folding bead tires (Kenda Small Block 8, Maxxis Aspen, etc) and save up to a pound of rotating weight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just thought of another advantage to that approach, can then sell off our wheels and put cash towards the new wheelset. Will keep any eye on the other threads regarding wheelsets. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
For whatever it's worth...... A hand built wheelset is going to cost you some serious cash, I am guessing 50% of what your bike costs. Ouch!!!! At 220 pounds a prebuilt wheelset might not hold up to your liking. I weigh 190 and ride pretty aggressive and have never had good luck with prebuilt wheels.

For a guy on a budget that does not sounds like a great idea but the best place to lose weight on a bike are the wheels/tires so you are definitely on the right track.
Good Luck!

al8565 said:
Hi, I've got a Hardrock Sport 29er, am 6ft 5" and must weight about 220lbs. I'm not into racing, mainly trail riding and commuting. Really enjoying my first 29er,would have been nice to get a rockhooper comp, but budget didn't stretch to that. At some point will want to try and reduce the weigh of the stock wheels. Money is finite, so is it worth getting the wheels rebuilt with better spokes and hubs? or buying pre-built better option. I weighed the front wheel on the bathroom scales and it said 2.3kg :eekster: , so room for improvement there.

The stock rims are Alex RHD's, which Alex tells me weigh in at 580g each. Which considering I could never run super light racing rims seems ok to me. Would only save 55g (per rim) by buying flows, and that would cost me NZ$170 per rim. So am I right in thinking I can save a reasonable amount of weight at a reasonable cost. I haven't discovered how much the stock tyres or hubs weight (anyone know?). But was thinking XT or Hope hubs (is that an overkill for my needs), DT spokes with the existing RHD rims. Then later on replace tyres with Kenda Karma's and a lighter cassette (easily save 120g for not much cash). By my calculations could get that front wheel down to 1.6kg, and save even more on the rear.

Or am I better off buying off the shelf wheelset? although not much choice in 29er pre-built wheels over here in NZ, and postage from the states wouldn't be cheap.

let me know what you think? cheers....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.