Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 XC 32 coil fork that I've never really liked too much, due to stock issues I've given up buying a new bike until next summer, so I'm thinking about a fork upgrade to make my riding more enjoyable until them.

For reference, back in the day I used to ride a 1998 marzocchi bomber z2 was amazing, I would hope trickle down technology would make that performance more attainable, but maybe I am asking too much.

Anyways, I'm thinking about buying this to hold me over:

I'm just wondering what kind of performance upgrade this would be for people who have ridden both forks or similar forks. I don't care about weight, I just want more dampening and less abuse on my hands.

·
Cycologist
16,921 Posts
I have a white 2014 Recon Silver TK 100mm 29er qr tapered if you're interested and it fits your bike. It has been upgraded with a motion control damper. It hasn't been used in the last three years.

$100 plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I put a 130 mm Recon Silver on an old XC bike a while back (2017). Not sure what changes have been made to the Recon Silver since then, but I am always impressed with that fork whenever I jump on the old XC bike. Surprisingly good subtle bump compliance, and handles hard hits better than expected. I would not hesitate getting a Recon Silver if I needed something in that price range or for supporting older standards (straight tube, etc.).

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
If you have the money for a new bike but there's no supply how about getting a good fork now and swap it to the new bike next year?
A Bomber Z2 is about $500 or something better is $1k.
An RL isn't much of an upgrade. An Epixon off ebay or the Chinese air fork is this video in your wheel size are cheaper options.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a white 2014 Recon Silver TK 100mm 29er qr tapered if you're interested and it fits your bike. It has been upgraded with a motion control damper. It hasn't been used in the last three years.

$100 plus shipping.
I would be interested buy my bike doesnt have a tapered HT.

If you have the money for a new bike but there's no supply how about getting a good fork now and swap it to the new bike next year?
A Bomber Z2 is about $500 or something better is $1k.
An RL isn't much of an upgrade. An Epixon off ebay or the Chinese air fork is this video in your wheel size are cheaper options.

I like that idea in theory but I think my bike is too old, I don't have boost wheels so then I'd be looking at a Z2 and new front wheel which is kinda more than I want to spend. Plus no tapered HT and unknown if the HT length will work on whatever new bike I get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.