Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently own a Stance 2021 27.5 - I like it, it’s been surprisingly durable, but there are some things I’m not thrilled with...

Not a great climber on the technical stuff. Front wheel lifts too easily, tire wanders a bit too much and it’s hard to get it back on track.

Not real stable going down hill.

Front fork and rear shock are meh.

I love the 12 speed Shimano Deore drivetrain. And whatever they use for the rear hub has been flawless.

So, I’m looking to go to 29. I’m looking for better geometry...longer bike. little slacker, better steering control on climbs, better suspension. Is it worth bouncing up to the Trance 29 aluminum? I think it’ll be maybe $1,000 more. Guy at the bike shop said it would be worth it...that the bike is longer, more slack, more stable. But I’ll tell yeah, the reviews say otherwise - they say, older geometry, more for cross country, not so much for single track. But I usually trust the guys at the bike shop. And the Trance has SRAM for the drivetrain - not a big SRAM fan - and I don’t know what it has for a rear hub, but I worry it won’t be as durable as what they threw in on the Stance (as crazy as that sounds).

Is it worth trading up? Would the Trance check off some/most of my boxes?

· Registered
461 Posts
nd I don't know what it has for a rear hub, but I worry it won't be as durable as what they threw in on
Currently own a Stance 2021 27.5 - I like it, it's been surprisingly durable, but there are some things I'm not thrilled with...

Not a great climber on the technical stuff. Front wheel lifts too easily, tire wanders a bit too much and it's hard to get it back on track.

Not real stable going down hill.

Front fork and rear shock are meh.

I love the 12 speed Shimano Deore drivetrain. And whatever they use for the rear hub has been flawless.

So, I'm looking to go to 29. I'm looking for better geometry...longer bike. little slacker, better steering control on climbs, better suspension. Is it worth bouncing up to the Trance 29 aluminum? I think it'll be maybe $1,000 more. Guy at the bike shop said it would be worth it...that the bike is longer, more slack, more stable. But I'll tell yeah, the reviews say otherwise - they say, older geometry, more for cross country, not so much for single track. But I usually trust the guys at the bike shop. And the Trance has SRAM for the drivetrain - not a big SRAM fan - and I don't know what it has for a rear hub, but I worry it won't be as durable as what they threw in on the Stance (as crazy as that sounds).

Is it worth trading up? Would the Trance check off some/most of my boxes?
Yes.
Trance is trail bike, not XC. With beefed up components it will take enduro tracks no problem (depending on rider of course :) Trance SX was older model, was great on trail/enduro tracks with some smaller upgrades (brakes etc.)

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes.
Trance is trail bike, not XC. With beefed up components it will take enduro tracks no problem (depending on rider of course :) Trance SX was older model, was great on trail/enduro tracks with some smaller upgrades (brakes etc.)
Excellent! Thanks. I'm going to buy it, just sold my Stance today.

All the reviews I was watching was for the older Trance or the "regular" Trance. I guess the Stance X3 has the flip chip, more travel, etc. It's $150 bucks more. Pretty excited.

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim Wheel

Took it right out and put ten miles of technical single track on it. Feels a lot like my old Santa Cruz Tallboy 3, but with more travel. Very stable. Excellent on slow technical climbs and much much more forgiving going downhill than my Stance. Felt like I was sitting inside the bike instead of on top of it, which I liked. Longer reach, slacker...front wheel wasn't annoyingly lifting up on me during climbs. Really happy with it. I have to get used to the lower bottom bracket again (the Stance was high, which I liked), but I can move it up, and I might give that a try. Little heavy, but I figured it would be at $2,550.

I'll tell yeah though, the Stance was a good bike for the money...felt like my old Santa Cruz 5010. It was light, it was quick and flickable. Loved the 12-speed Shimano Deore compared to the SRAM on the Trance (I'm sure I'll have to upgrade the derailleur soon). But liking the Giant lineup so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.