Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I've got a new Tallboy LTa with M615 brakes on it, which seem to be working fine. However, I'm looking to sell my Trek Cobia HT, which I had SLX brakes installed on in the past 6 months. I'm wondering if you think it is worth moving the SLX brakes to the LT and putting the M615s on the Cobia for selling? I've read quite a few threads on the differences between these two brakes and it looks like there may be no difference in stopping power, but that the SLX has more adjustment features.

I'm still learning to do basic maintenance on my bikes, and I'm hesitant to try to do the brake swap myself. From what I can tell, a local shop might charge around a $100 to do this. Is the swap worth it?

Thanks!

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
The Deore brakes are already quite good, the only noticeable to me thing you'd be gaining is the reach adjust - which is nice, but only worth the swap if you feel confident moving them over - for a $100 price difference, not worth it at all.
Since you're not having to bleed them, it's a straightforward changeover, and totally worth the DIY to move them over - use fresh zip ties and you'll be set.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
As mentioned above, for no cost it's worth swapping.
If you had to pay for it the better money would be spent on a larger rotor/adaptor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to follow tehllama's advice and see if I can move them over intact -- without the need for bleeding (which I don't have a kit for at the moment).

·
MCMXCV
1,308 Posts
Buy some twine and then you can quickly and accurately measure each brake line so you don't have to spend time on switching and realigning if they're too long/short.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again! I was able to swap brake sets between the bikes. As D Bone suggested, I used string to measure the cables just to be sure a non-bleed transfer would be possible. The runs were very close in length. Swaps were made with no problems and didn't cost me a penny!

·
B A N N E D
5,275 Posts
the only noticeable to me thing you'd be gaining is the reach adjust
Deore's have reach adjust, you just have to use a allen key to do it.

868824d1392085346-shimano-m615-adjustments-brake-lever.jpg

Reach adjust isn't something that you'll be adjusting all the time so you probably won't be gaining much if you go from 615 to 675.

·
Registered
55 Posts

View attachment 1002081

Reach adjust isn't something that you'll be adjusting all the time so you probably won't be gaining much if you go from 615 to 675.
Ditto.

Could just swap them for the mechanical experience and later if you sell your bike you would have more selling power.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
4,902 Posts

View attachment 1002081

Didn't realize this. Now I know what my next set of brakes is going to be. Thanks for saving me at least enough for a set of pads! :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I got M615 on my bike, TruckerCo pads, 200F/180R. is it worth to uograde to XT ? for now i dont have a lot of complaints, it's OK for now. Online store has those XT brakes for sale around $130.
Please share your experiences and thanks a lot in advance.
HVC,

·
GONE
25,313 Posts
I got M615 on my bike, TruckerCo pads, 200F/180R. is it worth to uograde to XT ? for now i dont have a lot of complaints, it's OK for now. Online store has those XT brakes for sale around $130.
HVC,
$130 bucks for the set or just per side? Which online store?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
HVC,
There will be no change in performance whether it's power, modulation, or fade resistance. You will be gaining tool free reach adjust and an almost non working contact adjust.

When I decided to rebuild my Epic I went with XTs because they were so cheap at the time but if I had not gotten such a great deal I would have had no problem going with Deores on it.

The first true upgrade in performance in the Shimano lineup is the Zees. They offer better fade resistance, better modulation, and lots more power. A smaller benefit is longer pad life. You can get them for around $150 for the set if you look around. Going between Deore, XT, and SLX is just giving you more or less options, but not an actual upgrade performance wise.

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
HVC,
You've already got good pads, and large diameter (203/180) diameter rotors - Like BGN alluded to you're not going to be gaining a lot of power, the biggest thing will be the reach adjust being toolless. I could think of better ways to spend $260, probably involves better rubber.
If more power is needed, the Zee brakes are worth a look, to me they felt like trading modulation for raw power - I've seen reviews to the effect of 'if you have grip, they'll make you wonder if hitting a tree would stop you more gently', and on 203/180 rotors they could definitely feel that way - four pot calipers when done right look attractive, but the cost for the AvidXO, GuideRSC, and Saints are all really steep, so Zee is the only one of those I'd look into.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I've always wondered why they reviewed the Zees as they did. Compared to my XT and Deore brakes, the Zees are the least likely to accidentally put me over the bars. They're more linear in their ramp up and so gentle at first, you might doubt their power until you squeeze a little harder. Obviously, the resin/semi metallic pads seem to give better modulation and even more power than the metals and of course, setup will effect modulation. I've found that if the caliper is not perfectly aligned with the rotor which most of ours aren't, modulation and even power is not great for a while, until the pads can wear enough to cause better alignment.

To sum up, if I had no brake and were looking for a set, I might go XT or SLX. If I already had Deores which are just as good as the other two performance wise I wouldn't waste the money "upgrading" unless it were an actual upgrade in which Zee would be the lowest cost performance upgrade. I love the looks of the Saints but I just couldn't justify double the cost for no change in performance and I hate to admit the ultimate deciding factor was that the all black Zees matched my bike better.

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
I've only gotten to try the Zee's with the organic pads, and it was a step up on rotor diameter - they felt grabby, but I knew those were the brakes I'd want if I had the skill to justify a truly descending biased bike. So much power, I'd even put some consideration into how much grip is typically on offer with intended tires and trails - where I'm at it's rare to actually be able to use full braking effort, as I'd be locking both and just riding the kitty litter magic carpet over hardpack into whatever I was hoping to avoid at full braking power.
My SLX's have passable modulation (I'm 235lb, so I'm basically assuming that at my mass I have to blow through a lot of that modulation zone in terms of lever-piston geometry setups to build enough braking pressure), and I consider them a better value than XT's (the difference between my really nice XT's with icetech pads and SLX's without is still so tiny I didn't care - SLX with icetech pads to me would be the best value)... I'd even put Deore brakes with nice pads over anything short of the full-on XT/Icetech kit (rotors/pads, just to make sure that my arms are knackered before the brakes start to hint at fading). If I build a descending biased bike, I'm getting a set of Zee's (especially since murdered-out everything is how I'd build it), but at this point any complete bike specced with Deore or better is going to be quite adequate, provided the brakes stay bled.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have all 3 brakes and depending on the build I would probably go for the Deore M615, here is a comparison between Deore, SLX, and XT

or I would go for the new XTs M8000, here they are vs XT M785

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for your advice. The best price I can find for Zees around $190, if you remember where you saw those deal, please let me know (PM is fine).
My SLX rotors (203/180) are still new, around 200 miles on 1 bikes and 100miles on the other.
In case later on the future, I'd like to upgrade to Zees do I need to replace to Ice -tech rotors ?

Thanks,
HVC

There will be no change in performance whether it's power, modulation, or fade resistance. You will be gaining tool free reach adjust and an almost non working contact adjust.

When I decided to rebuild my Epic I went with XTs because they were so cheap at the time but if I had not gotten such a great deal I would have had no problem going with Deores on it.

The first true upgrade in performance in the Shimano lineup is the Zees. They offer better fade resistance, better modulation, and lots more power. A smaller benefit is longer pad life. You can get them for around $150 for the set if you look around. Going between Deore, XT, and SLX is just giving you more or less options, but not an actual upgrade performance wise.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for your replying a lot. I think I'll stick with these Deores for now, no issues so far. Coming from Avid 5 and Fomula C1 (replace with Deore by warranty), Shimano brakes are much better.
Thanks again.
HVC

You've already got good pads, and large diameter (203/180) diameter rotors - Like BGN alluded to you're not going to be gaining a lot of power, the biggest thing will be the reach adjust being toolless. I could think of better ways to spend $260, probably involves better rubber.
If more power is needed, the Zee brakes are worth a look, to me they felt like trading modulation for raw power - I've seen reviews to the effect of 'if you have grip, they'll make you wonder if hitting a tree would stop you more gently', and on 203/180 rotors they could definitely feel that way - four pot calipers when done right look attractive, but the cost for the AvidXO, GuideRSC, and Saints are all really steep, so Zee is the only one of those I'd look into.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts