Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to upgrade from my Scott Aspect 940 to a full suspension and after doing research I've decided I need an All Mountain MTB. I also don't want to blow the bank and I'm on Jensonusa and Pinkbike and im seeing all these bikes from 2011/2012/2013 that look like they can handle every thing El Paso throws at them. What's the furthest I should go back? I Have the cash but if I can save some money I will. Thanks for your time :).

·
ready to ride
859 Posts
If you are buying new old stock for a steal and are cool without having the latest greatest. Then why not? Or even used. If used just make sure you know what you are getting into I.e. what kind of wear and tear has already been done.

·
Flappity flappity flap
2,590 Posts
I've done it, I say go for it if you like the bike. (Have you ridden the bike?)

Only thing that screwed me when I did this was getting Juicy 3's on an 08 two years later--already quit selling some of the spares, so rebuilding won't be an option when they crap out. For what I spent, I am entirely OK with that.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Nothing wrong with a bike a few years old just check the bike over for the obvious and you should be golden. If the bike has been taken good care of, you can buy a bike alot older than that and still be happy. I have bought an 8 year old bike before and rode it for several years and it performed great.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
There's nothing wrong with closeouts! Brand new bike for a much better price than when issued.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
For full retail, hell no. For a price that allows you to buy food to fuel the ride, hells yes.

·
I like bikes.
309 Posts
To me, for the most part, newest is just a fad until proven great. So, newest isnt always 'greatest', just overpriced for the time being...
That's just me. So, when I bought a bike, I went with a left over from the previous year(2011) which is identical to the 2013 model.
Generally, they pass the better components from higher end bikes on down the following year.

My thoughts on used...
Depends on the care the previous rider took but you can generally get more for your money because this/that small mod that you probably would do yourself you'll be getting for pretty much nothing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Even relatively old bikes can be great deals. I just bought a used bike from 2007, but it's carbon and full-XT, and it cost me sixty percent less than the cheapest FS bike that, say, REI has. If you can do the research and do it right, you can get some pretty great deals.

·
Registered
184 Posts
One of my bikes is a 2004, the other is a 1997. I've been riding for 4 years and still improve each time I go out, so my bikes haven't been holding up my abilities yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts