Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright you don't have to re:nono: ply to this one. Don't want to upset anyone. But I have to tell this story.....

Stopped by a bike shop in Brandon, Tampa :madmax: , and told the guy there that I had broken 2 headsets and would like to install a deep cup set that I had bought.

Guy comes back and tells me that I bought the WRONG one and need to return it. He said the Ellsworth Dare that I had was a downhill frame and not a freeride frame and was not made for that type of headset. According to him, downhill frames are made to race and go fast, they build the courses with a lot of transition drops so the frame does not take as much abuse. Freeride frames are made to do big drops and need that type of headset (deep cup).

Goes back to the counter and takes out a standard set of race Face and said THIS is the right one. Did I not tell him that I screwed up 2 headsets and one of them being a PIG DH that had to be cut to regular height to get it to fit?? Plus ihe was trying to sell me an aluminum one to add insult....

You know I would not have been too upset if he had tried to sell me the headset, they are in business afterall and have to pay rent. But that cock and bull story about the frame made me want to tell him to shut the hell up and ask, do I have the word idiot stamped on my forehead???

Not sure if I'll go back.......maybe for a spare tube :p .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Which bike shop was it? I live in Brandon and was just curious. I can't say I'm surprised. Some of the shops do try and sell you something you don't need and treat you like an idiot. I personally like Bike Works. I've been going there for the last couple of years and have had great service every time.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Don't want trail rage against me......

CRASH MASTER said:
Which bike shop was it? I live in Brandon and was just curious. I can't say I'm surprised. Some of the shops do try and sell you something you don't need and treat you like an idiot. I personally like Bike Works. I've been going there for the last couple of years and have had great service every time.
I thought about this a lot and have decided not to mention the bike shop. As you know it is not very big here and I don't want to start a war and alienate myself in the community. In adition it could have been some idiot that works there and not the owner. I stopped by Bike Works on the way home from work the other day and spoke to the owner, seemed like a nice guy and they carry a lot of high line roadie stuff. Seemed more like a roadie shop to me and if I needed to buy a roadbike :nono: , I would definately check him out.

Something else I might add, I had gone into this particular bike shop about 2x, just browsing around and checking their product line and prices. They had one customer in the shop and I had to ask for help, when I asked him about how the Santa Cruz Nomad rode, he kinda brushed me off .......like "why is he asking and what does he know about a bike like that"??? The attitude changed when I brought the Dare in to get worked on. I just hate it when someone makes a decision like that. Anyways, little did he know how frugal I am when it comes to bike parts :rant: . I am not a total cheapskate, I just bought a Race Face Diabolus headset and Roam DVD from Bike Atlantic in Ft. Lauderdale. Great Freeride bike shop. Yea I know I could have mailordered them, but I do try to support them if they treat me well. Well I think I have said enough on this subject and want to put it to rest.

For those that get upset because I don't mention the store, I appologise, just wanted to blow off some steam. I don't get treated like a total idiot very often.

·
Where is my mind?
1,130 Posts
So did they install the headset after all?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't blame you for not mentioning any names. I'm sure you will get some loyal customers pissed. Whether you're buying a 4 dollar tube or a 4000 dollar bike you should be treated the same. Some of these bike stores do tend to try and push higher end stuff on people that don't really need it. How many times have you seen someone with a downhill bike at flatwoods or morris bridge? At the end of the day, they lost another customer.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
YaMon said:
I thought about this a lot and have decided not to mention the bike shop. As you know it is not very big here and I don't want to start a war and alienate myself in the community. In adition it could have been some idiot that works there and not the owner.
Well, here's a few thoughts....

A - There is no such place as Brandon, Tampa. There is a Brandon, FL.
B- There are only 2 bike shops in "Brandon" that would have the type of stuff you are talking about, and since you pretty much narrowed it down that it wasn't Bike Works, and that is was a Santa Cruz dealer, you pretty much, by default indicated which shop it is.
C- It really is a fairly small world, and there are always two sides to every story, sometimes it is better to resist the urge to post, no matter how frustrated you are.

You'll find that this particular shop has a huge following, promotes and supports the local bike clubs more than most of the shops in the whole Tampa Bay area, are out building and maintaining the trails on a regular basis (never seen owners of the other shops out working on trails...ever, although some of the guys from the Lakeland shops are also very involved), and are some of the coolest guys that you'll ever meet.

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
Yup

YaMon said:
I drove to Orange Cycle in Orlando to get it done. Look under the post Best Bike Shop Nomination below.
They are the best - and a bunch of great guys and gals:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I said before......

I do not want to make this a P_ssing match. I am well aware that this bike shop supports the mtn biking community and overall does a lot more good than bad. At the same time, what that partcular employee did was not right either. Let's just leave it at that. Honesty is always the best policy, if you don't know how to do it or can't...just say so.

FWIW - (Not meant to brag), I have been riding for over 30 years. I knew Chris Carmichael ( CTS Training ) when he was a junior racing bikes, knew Bill Woodall ( infamous former Campagnolo mechanic that usd to drive the silver Dodge van with the big bubble on top, I just sold my metal fabrication business and we did lots of custom work for Hard Rock cafe, Sandals Resorts, and even Keith Richards with the Rolling Stones. So, basically I know which end to hold the hammer and take insult when some kid tries to educate me on metalwork.......

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
YaMon said:
I do not want to make this a P_ssing match. I am well aware that this bike shop supports the mtn biking community and overall does a lot more good than bad. At the same time, what that partcular employee did was not right either. Let's just leave it at that. Honesty is always the best policy, if you don't know how to do it or can't...just say so.

FWIW - (Not meant to brag), I have been riding for over 30 years. I knew Chris Carmichael ( CTS Training ) when he was a junior racing bikes, knew Bill Woodall ( infamous former Campagnolo mechanic that usd to drive the silver Dodge van with the big bubble on top, I just sold my metal fabrication business and we did lots of custom work for Hard Rock cafe, Sandals Resorts, and even Keith Richards with the Rolling Stones. So, basically I know which end to hold the hammer and take insult when some kid tries to educate me on metalwork.......
Wow, you're awesome :rolleyes: If you didn't want differing opinions on your post, you should not have posted.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I know that shop

YaMon,
If they are local, I would give them a second chance. I went in there and had a HORRIBLE experience, and it was after I already went in there and dropped some coin. I think the might have some green help or something. I ride with one of the owners, and dude is a really nice guy. I don't care what that other guy said about everything they do for mt biking in FL, etc, and I am definitely not bashing you for having a bad opinion. You did it in a very classy way, I probably wouldn't have been so nice if I posted about them. There are a couple owners there, so the shop might lose direction every so often.

And I thought Brandon Tampa was a right on description too. Every time I tell people where I am from now, I say Riverview, 2 seconds from Tampa. Who can please everyone though? Ride on bro.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ya brandon is the city, but it is good to verify that it is in the Tampa area, because many people don't know where Brandon is. It sounded weird to me too only because I've wrestled a million tournaments there, and I know of it simply as brandon, but Max 99 must have a sharp knife to split hairs as well as he does.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've given this one a lot of thought....

I do not hold the shop responsible and will support them in the future. They seem to have a great following and I have seen them out at Alafia with their customer appreciation day.

I have a few friends coming in to town in a month and will take them there to rent their bikes, just to show no ill feelings.

I used to have a metal fabrication business and one day we did an installation of some custom stair railings. One of my guys stole the homeowners new cell phone and after a thorough investigation I found out which one it was. I ended up paying for the phone ( they did not want it back) and severely restricting the guy that stole it. He was just too valuable to let go. He never did another inside installation after that. Only outside gates and no customer contact. So I do know just what one employee can do to damage the reputation of a good company.

Having anyone work on my bike is another matter.

See you all out there. Boy was it hot today. I rode Boyette at 1:00 and could only stay out for 45 minutes.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Shoulda fired the crack head. Don't care if he's got skills and works for cheap. All your bi&^%ing about a gougey bike shop goes way out the window coming from a guy who tolerates that.

And, yeah, I do have a beef with the sort of LBS behavior you're talking about. There's a shop in Tampa between me and the Morris bridge trail complex I don't use anymore for just that combination of incompetence and upsell.

Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.