Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 Giant Revel 3 came with its stem facing downwards. But I wanted to try it for the more upright comfortable feeling. So watched a video on youtube and took out the stem and flipped it.

When putting it back on the top bolt with the cap I tightened it probably extra tight I think more than what it needed, "but the handle would still move freely quite fine"

then I read that you should not tighten it too tight and only very very slight force is needed.

So I slackened it and tightened it just a little bit only enough to hold it in place so the cap won't come out. Using my Allen key

Everything feels fine and perfect but I heard its possible over tightening it more than what it really needs can dent the bearings etc.

Now I am worried I might have done something is there anyway to know if everything is fine and I have nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I doubt you hurt it. In the future, just tighten it so that there is no play or movement. Hold the front brake and rock the bike back and forth while putting you finger on the seam between the two halves of the upper part headset.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
While you could damage something...I honestly think it would be pretty difficult to do so and you would really have to crank down on that bolt. I think common sense would have you stop before you could damage anything. You'd just know from feel that you were getting too tight on the bolt. If you tighten things down and the fork moves freely without any drag or binding, you're ok.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Agree with above. I highly doubt you hurt the bearings. The forces put on the bearings/races by the leverage of the fork is much more than you probably put on them.

The top cap and star-fangled nut are what is responsible for pulling the headset together, and making it interface properly. If it is too loose, you will develop slop and that will damage the bearings/headset.

Loosen the stem, and tighten the cap tight enough that the stem will not "flop" on the steerer. Tighten your stem, and then I usually put an extra tiny turn on the top cap to lock it in .

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. And yeah the tightest I went was not actually that tight. It still felt like it could have gone a LOT more. It is then I realized hey wait a minute let me go check a video on youtube and google this before I do something wrong. Because honestly it felt like it could have gone a lot more and I didn't feel comfortable doing it so thats why i went and googled it.

Glad there is nothing to worry about. It feels great riding and its lots comfortable now upright. I use it for commuting and buying groceries and food etc. So thats why I like upright handles. :)

thanks again for putting my mind at ease

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
little update I took it for a spin on the road did some sharp turns and let the handles center itself with no hands and it came back in alignment perfect.

Everything feels super great. I noticed the upright position of the stem now the bike is slower and harder to pedal against the wind, I can see now the huge difference between different aero positions on bikes. But its ok I like this position a lot.

Nothing is greater than a peace of mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts