Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In fact, i'm pretty worried about my girlfriend. The last 6-7 years she's been talking about having a high rest HR and high HR max. She always was an active person younger but no so much in the last 3 years I'd say. She's playing flag football 1-2 times a week and that's about it. She still has better endurance and athletic abilities than average but it is probably more related to genes...

So now she is 25 years old and we started a spinning class together. I bought her an HR watch. In a 45 min. spinning class she has a HR avg of 175 and a max of 202. In the end she told me she was feeling alright and she would have continue. In the same session I have a hard time making it to 180 HR and my average is around 155-160.
Her HR at rest is around 64

Last time we went light jogging, we talked together while her HR was at 175-180...mine 135! I'm no training machine like some here but my HR is somewhat low at rest and max (48 and 190....24 years old)

I've ask her the last 3-4 years to see a doc but...nothing yet...
Should I be worried? What it might be? Anemia (humm not sure of the word...lack of iron in your blood, often related to high loss of blood or malnutrition)...
Or she's supernatural! :rolleyes:
Any thoughts?

Thank you

·
Registered
205 Posts
Im not sure you should be worried, everyone has different heart rates. In a spin class, my HR is only about 130, while my wifes goes up to 160. During a road bike ride, on a decent climb mine will go up to 151, while hers is at 180. I would say if she is feeling fine....don't worry. If you are really worried, get her checked out, but I don't think you have a worry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think the HR data by it's self is anything to worry about. Max HR is genetic and some people are just higher. My resting HR is about 58. I can do 185bpm for over an hour, and I can hold 200+ for over 8 minutes (this is not a very enjoyable 8 minutes). If your GF doesn't have any other issues while working out I would not worry - but then again I see no harm in having a doc check it out either.

·
Lazy People Suck
776 Posts
Everyone is different. I am 40 yrs old and have a 213-214 max heart rate. In expert races, I hold it around 185 for over 2 hours. At the end of a cross race a couple of weeks ago, I put it at 207 for about 3-4 minutes (It nearly killed me, but I was close to being lapped by a pro rider and was not going to let it happen)

If you are concerned, do a threshold test and figure out her max and then you can figure out what zones are appropriate for training, but her numbers do not seem unreasonable.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Reset said:
In fact, i'm pretty worried about my girlfriend. The last 6-7 years she's been talking about having a high rest HR and high HR max. She always was an active person younger but no so much in the last 3 years I'd say. She's playing flag football 1-2 times a week and that's about it. She still has better endurance and athletic abilities than average but it is probably more related to genes...

So now she is 25 years old and we started a spinning class together. I bought her an HR watch. In a 45 min. spinning class she has a HR avg of 175 and a max of 202. In the end she told me she was feeling alright and she would have continue. In the same session I have a hard time making it to 180 HR and my average is around 155-160.
Her HR at rest is around 64

Last time we went light jogging, we talked together while her HR was at 175-180...mine 135! I'm no training machine like some here but my HR is somewhat low at rest and max (48 and 190....24 years old)

I've ask her the last 3-4 years to see a doc but...nothing yet...
Should I be worried? What it might be? Anemia (humm not sure of the word...lack of iron in your blood, often related to high loss of blood or malnutrition)...
Or she's supernatural! :rolleyes:
Any thoughts?

Thank you
if she feels fine then her HR probably isn't a problem. females often have higher HRs than males.

and if she had anemia there'd be a lot more symptoms than just a high HR. fatigue, etc...

sounds to me like your girlfriend is fine.

rt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks
It's a good thing to hear...

I still want her to see a doc but i'm less worried for sure!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cnm19 said:
I can do 185bpm for over an hour, and I can hold 200+ for over 8 minutes (this is not a very enjoyable 8 minutes).
Fett said:
E, I hold it around 185 for over 2 hours. At the end of a cross race a couple of weeks ago, I put it at 207 for about 3-4 minutes (It nearly killed me, but I was close to being lapped by a pro rider and was not going to let it happen)
Damn...it must hurt real bad!! :devil:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.