Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
Im new to riding, and new to these boards, this being my first post. Anyways, I have a big concern about rust. Generally, I dont ride in the rain, nor do I have a desire to do so. However, Im still concerned about rust. My bike is a Haro V3 everything is stock. What Im asking is, will my frame rust fast because it is aluminum ?? If it does, is there any kind of.. sealent to spray on it to counter that ? Besides avoiding rain, what precautions should I take ? Or does aluminum do a fair job ?

Thanks for the help
-Levi

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Bzzzzt! Kinda wrong. Aluminum doesn't rust in the sense that it won't turn brown due to exposure to rain like carbon steel. It will oxidize/corrode and that is the same thing as rust on steel is corrosion. It just won't happen with plain water.

You don't have to seal it with anything. Just take reasonable care. Don't ride in salt water. If you ride/live near the coast then rinse your frame occasionally. Do regular maintenance. I've lived within a mile of the coast for the past 25 years and neither my steel or aluminum frame have any sign of corrosion.

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
Alumnium oxide

Corrosion on aluminum is not rust as we commonly look at it. The bare metal bonds with oxygen (just like steel) but the byproduct is not soft and orange - its hard and white. It's so hard, in fact, that it actually acts as a barrier to prevent further corrosion. Aluminum corrodes most when the protective oxide coating is removed time after time.

When aluminum parts are anodized, they actually have an extra thick (usually coloured) oxide coating added intentionally.

tn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah what a relief, good news :D Thanks for the replies. I didnt think anyone would reply so quickly

_Levi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts