Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Custom User Title
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a 2009 Trek Fuel EX8 and I ordered it in size 19.5.
I based this on sitting on a 19.5 size Fuel EX6.5 the LBS had in the store as I thought it would probably feel very similar.
It felt great, but I never took the bike out to ride it. I also rode a Gary Fisher in size 19 and felt really good on it.

Now that I started thinking about it, the LBS wasn't really much help when it came to selecting the size. I didn't know about the importance of standover height and they never even mentioned it.
Do you guys and gals think that a 18.5 might have been a better decision?
I have been out of biking for over a decade and am just now getting back into it and I feel like I may have made the wrong decision when I read about others bike sizes compared to theire own height.

Is there someone else out there with a 19.5 Fuel frame and a height of about 5ft 10in so my mind can be at ease?

Thanks,

Daniel

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I dont think you made the wrong decision. You probably could go with either bike. I dont even think standover height should be a consideraton when buying a bike. Its the top tube length and cockpit fit thats important. A person with a long torso and short legs will need a "big" bike and yet a person with long legs and short torso will need a smaller bike. Yet the guy with the long legs has plenty of standover and the other guy will have little standover. Since you are concerned about standover I am pretty sure you have bought the right size bike. I hope that makes sense.

The smaller frame would probably feel a little more nimble and might feel like a better climber but I am pretty sure once you start bombing down a hill you will appreciate the bigger frame. The stem can also be shortened and the seat moved up if it feels too big.
I wouldnt worry about it. Women are buying bikes that are designed for men all the time that dont fit as well and yet they do pretty well on the trail.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Not sure where you bought yours, but at my local Trek Stores' you have 30-days to exchange the bike for size issues. Contact your LBS to find out what they will do for you.

I'm 5'10" w/ a 32" inseam and will be ordering the 18.5" bike instead of the 19.5". The 19" bike feels more like a tad too big for me and what I want in a trail bike.

-r.

·
Custom User Title
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.
I actually went back to the LBS and we ordered the 18.5.
I really think that I will like that better.

From what I remember, I always preferred a more compact frame over a bigger one, so I think that will be perfect.

The only bummer is that the 18.5 comes with 165mm brake discs and the 19.5 comes with 185mm. Ah well.... Can't have it all, heh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts