Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I would like to preface this review with this glance into a pet peeve of mine:

....I hate it when somebody buys a new bike/ component...takes it for a spin & sits down to write a review billing it as the latest greatest of all time.....seriously, does anyone ever critically evaluate a new product?

Having said that, I hope you realize that I rarely review any product this quickly...I am also generally critical...particulary after a new purchase. If anything I tend to over analyze/ criticize any new addition. However, I am truly blown away by this new Fox!!! Where do I start? Having just ridden another local XC trail network (this one isn't nearly as steep, but equally technical. It is loaded with tight, twisty singletrack...peppered with roots & off camber/ rooty turns.) Because the terrain is rolling, you can carry alot of speed & it is a fun & fast ride...a good testing ground for the Fox's high speed damping.

The shock tracks better than any I have ridden (except my avalanche). There are roughly 4 or 5 corners on these trails that are high speed, off camber & loaded with roots. They are hard to carry speed through when dry & nearly impossible when wet. Tonites ride followed days of steady rain here....and the trails were very slick & the roots deadly! I couldn't believe how well the rear tracked!!! It just held it's line like never before, seriously I was impressed. I began to really push it in the turns where I knew typically I had a hard time maintaining traction because of stutter bumps & roots...but tonite it held it's line perfectly. The rear felt so stable & controlled (not to mention very plush).

OK, OK, I know this is hard to convey....but one of the things I like about my Avalanche is the fact that it feels very firm under you. IOW, if you bounce around on it it feels like a MX bike...but the minute you ride through rough sections it comes to life under you absorbing everything, yet still feeling firm under the rider (not mushy or wallowing in it's travel). The DHX has the same ability. I put 175 psi in the chamber & had the PP cranked 1 click out from full on. The shock remained unbelieveably supple for slow-small hits & remained firm feeling underneath me. At speed it just soaked everything up, again feeling firm & supportive underneath. Needless to say I am loving this shock! I know there were mentioned some fit issues, but I haven't had any problems. There is a good sized 4 footer with nearly no transition at the end of one trail tonite. I hit it with some speed to test out the shocks response to a bigger hit.....felt like butter!!!! Still no contact with the down tube. Since a 4 foot drop is the limit on the Spots warranty, I don't forsee any issues with the fit.

All in all, the DHX tops the Romic in every conceiveable way......



 

·
Lay off the Levers
Joined
·
10,127 Posts
jncarpenter said:
All in all, the DHX tops the Romic in every conceiveable way......
Sounds sweet!
You mentioned in another thread that neither Turner nor Fox would recommend this for the 5 Spot, why? It sounds like the bread's butter!

BTW is that spring available in gold?:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bikezilla said:
Sounds sweet!
You mentioned in another thread that neither Turner nor Fox would recommend this for the 5 Spot, why? It sounds like the bread's butter!
.....cuz the reservoir contacts the down tube at full compression with the bottom out adjuster all the way out. I like it dialed in a bit...so it's not an issue for me. They have the DHX in two other versions (less expensive) that do not have the volume adjustment, allowing more clearance. That may be the way to go for some that want a more linear feel.
 

·
what a joke
Joined
·
2,280 Posts
Lmao

Tscheezy inspired me when he descirbed the frame color as barfed up pumkin rind. I think the "Barfing Pumkins" would make a good clan name. :D

As for the DHX not being recommended, I guess its got to do with clearance. I dont think Turner could spec a shock that fits some frame sizes only. From what jncarpenter has said above and what Larry has told me I am stoked that its fits my XL. Finally a win for the biger guys .
 

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
Joined
·
4,162 Posts
ozlongboarder said:
Tscheezy inspired me when he descirbed the frame color as barfed up pumkin rind. I think the "Barfing Pumkins" would make a good clan name. :D

As for the DHX not being recommended, I guess its got to do with clearance. I dont think Turner could spec a shock that fits some frame sizes only. From what jncarpenter has said above and what Larry has told me I am stoked that its fits my XL. Finally a win for the biger guys .
Yo OZ:

Have you taken delivery yet? Out of curiousity......Can you remove the spring and czech the amount of clearance? I've got an XL as well, and it looks like the DHX could be the hot setup this year.
 

·
what a joke
Joined
·
2,280 Posts
no can do but

Aquaholic said:
Yo OZ:

Have you taken delivery yet? Out of curiousity......Can you remove the spring and czech the amount of clearance? I've got an XL as well, and it looks like the DHX could be the hot setup this year.
Larry said in an email that there was plenty of clearance on the shock ;) From the pic of jncarpenters frame and mine it looks like there they be a little more room on the XL frame. The XL crown should be in sometime this week. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
jncarpenter said:
.....cuz the reservoir contacts the down tube at full compression with the bottom out adjuster all the way out. I like it dialed in a bit...so it's not an issue for me. They have the DHX in two other versions (less expensive) that do not have the volume adjustment, allowing more clearance. That may be the way to go for some that want a more linear feel.
Wouldnt ones without a volume reservoir act more progressive (e.g. Swinger 3way)?
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Does Fox engineer in a vacuum or what? Larry just mentioned that the DHX probably would not fit most Ventanas either. Ventanas can be very miserly in their lower shock mount clearance, but that is not the case with Turner. If it won't fit the uber-brands, what will it fit? What market brand is Fox targeting, Mongoose, Pacific?

If the "6-Pack" is more than an urban legend, I bet DT will undermine Fox's attempts to make the shock only fit bikes we would not be caught dead on (not naming any more names).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jaghouse said:
Wouldnt ones without a volume reservoir act more progressive (e.g. Swinger 3way)?
.....you're misunderstanding......There is a reservoir, just no volume ADJUSTMENT. After fooling with mine a bit... the adjuster knob is easily removed with a 2mm. There is quite a bit of clearance created by removing the adjuster knob....however the schrader valve would be the limiting factor then. The 4.0 doesn't have an adjustment knob...only the schrader valve (adjustment is made with psi variations)... so I assume it would allow much more clearance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...There is quite a bit of clearance created by removing the adjuster knob....however the schrader valve would be the limiting factor then. The 4.0 doesn't have an adjustment knob...only the schrader valve
Hey jncarpenter, couple of questions. How about a closeup pic of the the shock, with the spring removed obviously, making contract with the frame? Do you think there is any other option for modification to the 5.0 that would eliminate contact issues? Your frame is a large correct? If available, would a remote reservoir even be a desireable option for the Spot?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
Between the different frame sizes does the angle of the Downtube change that much? I always thought frames generally kepth the same geometry for the rear ends, shock areas and down tube positions.... I thought he difference is in the length of the seat tube, top tube and Down tube.... Oh well, maybe thats why im not a frame designer. Maybe ill just have to run my medium with the adjuster knob off. Wont look as cool....but... Another thought was to grind off some of the edge maybe... if you say its within mm's maybe a few more might help.....
 

·
Lay off the Levers
Joined
·
10,127 Posts
oly said:
Between the different frame sizes does the angle of the Downtube change that much? I always thought frames generally kepth the same geometry for the rear ends, shock areas and down tube positions.... I thought he difference is in the length of the seat tube, top tube and Down tube.... Oh well, maybe thats why im not a frame designer. Maybe ill just have to run my medium with the adjuster knob off. Wont look as cool....but... Another thought was to grind off some of the edge maybe... if you say its within mm's maybe a few more might help.....
My guess would be if the seat tube was longer, the shock would be mounted higher, and thus farther away from the downtube.

I just can't believe Fox is blowing off Turners and possibly(?) others simply due to clearance. Couldn't they just angle up the lead arm to the resivoir a few degrees to raise the bottom?
Oh well, I guess I won't be boxing up my Romic this month...time will tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oly said:
Between the different frame sizes does the angle of the Downtube change that much? I always thought frames generally kepth the same geometry for the rear ends, shock areas and down tube positions.... I thought he difference is in the length of the seat tube, top tube and Down tube.... Oh well, maybe thats why im not a frame designer. Maybe ill just have to run my medium with the adjuster knob off. Wont look as cool....but... Another thought was to grind off some of the edge maybe... if you say its within mm's maybe a few more might help.....
Larry @ Mt High is looking into an alternate shrader valve (shorter stack ) if so, this plus the removal of the adjuster cap would make it do-able! I will be interested to see others try & mount up the 4.0 & 3.0. Seemingly the 4.0 really doesn't have much lost adjustability.....but would allow a fit for the shock...DT mentioned using it on his......he also acted like peening the DT wouldn't be a big deal
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Because larger frames have longer front centers (longer top tubes putting the head tube farther forward relative to the seat tube), the down tube leaves the bb area at a slightly lower angle to meet up with the more distant head tube. This gives the needed mm or two of clearance. If it works on an XL, barely works (marginally) on a large, I think medium and especially small frame owners better not touch this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
Bikezilla said:
My guess would be if the seat tube was longer, the shock would be mounted higher, and thus farther away from the downtube.
QUOTE]

Since the 5spot uses a CNC'd BB/Main Pivot/Shock mount, combined with a 7.5 x 2" shock, those points should always be in the same spot on all the frames.... I guess i could see though that the downtube could be made to a differnt angle on each frame size......i just thought that would be kept the same also....and jus the length changed to make the TT longer, and ST higher......

Ill just have to see for myself how bad this really will be.....probably wednesday.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Well it won't fit others either... snif snif

Tcheezy, I was also hoping to get myself the new DHX but this discussion just opened my eyes and it won't fit my small Banzai for sure. The shock mount is even lower then on 5-spot frames because it is kind of curved down towards the BB. I tried a Manitou 3way coil and it would barely fit so I suspect the Romic would be the same. But those coil shock with a side canister are out for us I guess. It's the nature of our frame design that is to blame probably more than the shock design. However the Moment seems fine with it.

I'm really sad that the DHX will not fit, I was hoping to get one. I'm surprised not more 5-spot owners have tried the Manitou 3way coil as a replacement for the Romic.

Cheers.

tscheezy said:
Does Fox engineer in a vacuum or what? Larry just mentioned that the DHX probably would not fit most Ventanas either. Ventanas can be very miserly in their lower shock mount clearance, but that is not the case with Turner. If it won't fit the uber-brands, what will it fit? What market brand is Fox targeting, Mongoose, Pacific?

If the "6-Pack" is more than an urban legend, I bet DT will undermine Fox's attempts to make the shock only fit bikes we would not be caught dead on (not naming any more names).
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top