Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Big hill indeed!

If I read the speedo right - it clocked the nut at 254 KM/hr, which is about 157 mph! Yow. Nuckin Futz.

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
Wonder how it corners..

I suppose the guy could even eek a bit more speed with some lower position bike, smaller wheels yet (sorry, 29er may not be the best application here after all), more aero stuff. But then, I really don't want to try 150mph personally.

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
Rocket man!

Yeah, the video is a rocet powered bike. No pedalling needed! John Howard's speed record is crazier still! Is that still the standing speed record, flat ground self propelled? Drafting or not? And what about HPVs and fully enclosed recumbents and such.... and those wacky DH packed snow riders? Hmmm, gotta get to Google.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
sparrow said:
Yeah, the video is a rocet powered bike. No pedalling needed! John Howard's speed record is crazier still! Is that still the standing speed record, flat ground self propelled? Drafting or not? And what about HPVs and fully enclosed recumbents and such.... and those wacky DH packed snow riders? Hmmm, gotta get to Google.
Anyone know the fasted DH speed(gravity powered)?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=43641

:)[/QUOTE]
Thanks for that. I was pretty sure Howard's record had been broken. I knew I could quickly find the info though.

From the link above:
The highest speed ever achieved on a bicycle is 268.831 km/h (167.043 mph), by Fred Rompelberg (The Netherlands) at Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USA, on October 3, 1995. His record attempt was greatly assisted by the slipstream from his lead vehicle. Fred has been cycling professionally for nearly 30 years and during that time has held 11 world records.​

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
Wonder what the bearings look like in the wheels and BB after that insanity?

PS-obscure user name there: OILCANBOYD.....i know tha real guy, he lives in my town...LOL

-Boz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.