Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how much these top racers are eating and drinking over the duration of their race?

I race in the elite category regionally, I usually take 1 feed during the race, so maybe 2x750ml bottles of sports drink (2x100 cal) + 1-2 gels (100-200cals) per race (1hr 30 - 1hr 40). Perhaps as a result of being stronger and having to not dig as deep, I have found that my cravings for nutrition have dropped, where I would previously drink at least 3 bottles (3x100cal) and 3 gels (3x100cals). At my current state with 1 feed, 1 gel, I don't really see an additional gel having much benefit to my performance. I certainly enjoy the simplicity of only one feed.

My one feed zone trip per race seems minimal compared to modern double-feed zones on the short laps where racers have the opportunity to feed every 6 minutes. Are these racers pushing themselves deeper and have better trained stomachs that they require and can utilize more nutrition during a race? Is there a strategy? Taking on half empty bottles or even going without a bottle for a particularly climby section of course?

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
One gel 15 minutes before, another at 40 minutes in and sometimes a second one at 15 minutes left in the race.

Hydration, drink and drop have become quite popular. Basically they take a bottle every time through the feed zone drink from it and then drop it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep a closer eye on that next time I'm watching a race. I'm guessing for the 3-5hr Epic Rides/Stage Races/Marathon Worlds is where the ability to absorb more carbs start to present an advantage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.