Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man what a day. To be able see a World Cup on US soil and only have to drive a few hours to see it is incredible The race was amazing, the track was better then I expected. This being the first year back in the states I was not surprised by the small attendance. I think next years attendance will be much bigger as Americans understand what a special event this was. What a race Gregg, Pete, Gee, Aaron where just flying. You really have to see it in person to understand how big, how fast and how smooth they are. I cannot wait for next year. More cowbells

·
Registered
832 Posts
I was at the 4x finals as well. It's pretty amazing to see guys clear a 40 foot gap jump right in front of you :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sorry for the multiple posts, but I haven't yet learned how to upload multiple pics from photobucket. It was an awesome course, the vibes were high from the crowd, and standing at the finish line was much more satisfying than seeing anonimous racers flying through the woods. The whole crowd was really rooting for peaty, but it wasn't to be that day. Peaty and cedric (with beers in hand of course :thumbsup: ) were really approachable and down to earth guys, a nice cap to a memorable day.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
jmitchell13 said:
I was there both days. The kids got to meet Peaty on Satuday.
Sunday DH finals was awesome. My son and I ended up walking down the course and eventually ended at the lower rock garden to watch the second half of the field, AWESOME!

Nice picture! Z must have been stoked. It sounds like we kept missing each other by a few feet. Brian and I walked the course in reverse on Sunday from the bottom to the road gap during the race.

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,869 Posts
I was up there Saturday and Sunday. The 4X and DH courses and races were incredible. the atmosphere was perfect as well. good people, good times. and the event organizers really nailed it. what a great weekend.

I had a little star encounter of my own. was sitting outside my Jimmy O'Connor's motel room Sunday evening on a lawn chair enjoying the cool evening and some ice cold beer with a friend. up comes this girl on a bike asking if we'd seen the girl staying in the room next to us. we hadn't, but I quickly realized the girl on the bike was Rachel Atherton! about 4 hours after being crowned the best female DH rider on earth, there she was riding around town on a XC bike chatting with us. so cool.

gotta love this sport...no massive egos or entourage required. as seen in that photo of Steve Peat. One of the all time great guys and riders. You could feel the air let out of the entire crowd when he crashed. I can't wait for next year.

·
Registered
796 Posts
nybike1971 said:
Nice picture! Z must have been stoked. It sounds like we kept missing each other by a few feet. Brian and I walked the course in reverse on Sunday from the bottom to the road gap during the race.
He was pretty excited. Z and I rode the charilift up and walked down. I'm sure we passed eachother somewhere. We walked down along most of the course, stopping to watch as each racer came by.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've never been to windham before despite living only about 90 minutes away, the vibe of a new place is refreshing. I sent them an email stating their mountain has the potential to attract a lot of gravity riders looking for a cool new riding destination, and if they had any plans for such. No mention of anything of the sort on their website and no response to my email I think unfortunately means "no". :nonod: bummer...

·
Registered
810 Posts
I hate to rip a place an hour from my house but I've written in other threads about Windham... I've tried to e-mail them numerous times just to ask a couple of basic questions and have never gotten a response. This is over the last couple of years, so I'm not surprised that nobody had the common courtesy to at least answer your question.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've had the same issue. I've contacted them regarding a vendor that was there and have yet to get a response. If I were a vendor, I'd be ticked.

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,349 Posts
The organization there was pretty awful as far as human resources are concerned. My friends and I went to course marshal on Saturday and Sunday. Many of the people in charge are events people, and didn't have a damn clue about anything bike or race related.

Instructions for course marshals were given in a rushed, inconsistent, and often misinformed manner. Many of the volunteers who were course marshals had no clue about biking or racing, fine. But when the people telling them what to do have no clue...there you have issues.

One fellow came up to me and chewed me out because i told some foreigner off for taking a rock off the DH course. He said it was not my place to do so, and to go apologize to the man, as he was a paid professional racer. Yes, it was my place as a course marshal and no, the man in question was not a paid professional racer. If he was he would have known better. You don't touch the course.

The fella who told me off threatened to have me thrown out of the venue. Yea, right.

On a much brighter note, it was awesome to have Peaty stop just past me during training after I cheered him on, turn around and ask how it was going. Another racer whose name I did not catch stopped during training and shot the breeze with me for 10 minutes. Having that sort of interaction with the top athletes in the sport made up for the dumb events staff a hundredfold. I just can't wait until next year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts