Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So several of the crew and their family's packed up and headed up to Pinetop for the weekend to hang out with the Cactus Crew up there working at the new shop. Upon arriving we checked out the new shop for a while, which is very cool and very busy for just having opened.

After hanging out for a bit, we decided that some riding was in order. The catch? We were threatened with 20 lashes with a bike chain, blindfolded and driven an hour to somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Don't know what direction, for all I know we ended up in New Mexico, but when the blindfolds were removed, this is all we saw. A smoke screen to block our vision even further.

After some extreme off-roading we came to this:

The most hair-ball line I have ever seen in my life. From what I could tell it drops around 950 vertical feet in about 0.4 miles. Steep? A little.... So much so you can not walk up or down it without using your hands or maybe a little climbing gear. Or maybe just a little help from your friends.

On the way back down, a parachute may be required for the re-entry. This is the proper line down, you hit the jump at somewhere around 30mph and brakes are not even a option.

There is a go around, but its no better than the jump, its just a 30mph hard left hand turn.

The weekend was not without drama, one of crew trying the jump for the first time didn't make the full commitment and paid the price. Take off looked good...

But the landing was not so pretty... I was behind a tree for a little protection, but in the end the tree ended up laying the smackdown on him... This is him heading for me at about 35mph. Not Photoshopped, just me running like a little girl:eek:

Little too close for comfort...

Some of the other guys showing how its properly done.

And finally some video: Here's what it looks like when all goes well...

And here is a first person view of when it doesn't:eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KavuRider said:
Epic.
Its a gapper, I thought it was a straight drop at the end.
Might as well be a straight drop with it being as steep as it is....

The photos don't do it justice. I probably fell on my ass at least a dozen times trying to walk up the 30 feet to get pictures.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
Might as well be a straight drop with it being as steep as it is....

The photos don't do it justice. I probably fell on my ass at least a dozen times trying to walk up the 30 feet to get pictures.
Pictures tend to flatten terrain.
You can tell in the vid, when Steve O hits that booter, how fast he's going...

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
KavuRider said:
Epic.
Its a gapper, I thought it was a straight drop at the end.
Kind of reminds me of our mini gapper to a steep tranny out on T-100.

Sixty: How big is the gap you gotta clear? It looks sweet but nothing I can't handle. Stuff like that is only an appertizer for me. :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
doodooboi said:
Kind of reminds me of our mini gapper to a steep tranny out on T-100.

Sixty: How big is the gap you gotta clear? It looks sweet but nothing I can't handle. Stuff like that is only an appertizer for me. :rolleyes:
Gap is only 6-8 feet, if you even hit it, clearing the gap isn't the problem, its the 30 feet or so you're going to fly before come back to terra firma....

Honestly, I won't ride the line at all. It falls into the "so crazy its just stupid category" Fish rode it once and wouldn't ride it again. Couple people rode the top and tried to walk the bottom, which looked about as fun as crashing off the jump.

I don't think I will be making it a regular on my list of trails to ride, but was cool to see a few guys pushing themselves on it.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
A Reign isn't enough bike for this kind steepness. Notice both Steve and Joey riding 8" travel Glory's? Both are also going back to dual crown forks...:eek:
And I rest my case. :D
When the going gets super gnar gnar, nothing beats a full on DH rig with a dual crown.

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,349 Posts
KavuRider said:
And I rest my case. :D
When the going gets super gnar gnar, nothing beats a full on DH rig with a dual crown.
True, the steepness of my Kona's front end has saved me numerous times.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
su.ling~ said:
Nice pics! The run-like-a-girl action shots are awesome too! Artisitic works...yeah... ;)
Artistic....yeah, thats it! LoL, it was either go artistic or get hit by a 50lb bike and 150lb rider completely out of control.

I just think it was funny the camera got it, I had it set to fire 9 shot burst's and it was still firing as I was running:D

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
Artistic....yeah, thats it! LoL, it was either go artistic or get hit by a 50lb bike and 150lb rider completely out of control.

I just think it was funny the camera got it, I had it set to fire 9 shot burst's and it was still firing as I was running:D
I have this awesome mental picture of you trying to get out of the way, all the while snapping pics.

Who was that btw?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
KavuRider said:
I have this awesome mental picture of you trying to get out of the way, all the while snapping pics.

Who was that btw?
LoL, i am sure it was comical.. I need to get the video from the other camera's everyone had.

It was Andrew, don't know if you know him, one of the Cactus shop rats who rides a Glory Team DH.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mhykhelle said:
Things are tough up there. Stevo had to sell his socks and hire a hillbilly to push his bike up the hill?
Yeah man, things are tough up there. Gotta ride what you can when you can, but with no Sunrise and no real DH for miles except for that one line you gotta do what you can right?

Come on, the 2 person push to the top makes it all the more entertaining, the only other way to do it is to put the bike on your back and climb up (which Steve also did). Lots of work for about 1 minute of rush:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.