Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got off my butt and put together some plans for our visit to the UCI World Championships at Mont Sainte Anne in September.

I just booked Camping Velirium at the base of the mountain for September 1-5 (very cheap at $28/night). By my reckoning, that should give us somewhere to pitch our tent to see pretty much everything from the Juniors, U23s and Elites in each XC, Trials, DH and 4X. Should be so awesome! :D

Lodging is pretty easy to figure out via the official site: http://www.montsainteanne2010.com/touristic-information/lodging1.

Anyone else in? :confused:

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
I will be there.

Im going with an army of BC/Ontario DH'ers... Ill be the lone XC rider. I guess Ill have to buy a red bull hat and neon glasses to fit in.

I expect it will be a blurry week with plenty of beer, lots of bacon and egg breakfast, and a ton of fun.

·
Registered
89 Posts
garage monster said:
I finally got off my butt and put together some plans for our visit to the UCI World Championships at Mont Sainte Anne in September.

I just booked Camping Velirium at the base of the mountain for September 1-5 (very cheap at $28/night). By my reckoning, that should give us somewhere to pitch our tent to see pretty much everything from the Juniors, U23s and Elites in each XC, Trials, DH and 4X. Should be so awesome! :D

Lodging is pretty easy to figure out via the official site: http://www.montsainteanne2010.com/touristic-information/lodging1.

Anyone else in? :confused:
I'm going to the UCI World Cup race the weekend before in Windham NY. Should have all the top racers there as a tune up for the Worlds. I even plan on racing in the Cat.2 race on the Sunday.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Woohoo! Just got my vacation approved! Google estimates 10+ hours in the car. Yikes! :eek: :thumbsup:

Less than a month away! :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
My wife and I are going as well, and also camping. Come say hi, look for the white Pontiac Vibe with the relevant custom license plate ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I went in '96 (or thereabouts). It was awesome to watch Palmer crash out right infront of us and then see him doing 50ft launches off of the front lawn of the condos he was staying at at 2am, full of beer and without a helmet.

Its the only tshirt I've kept! I camped there too. Was perfect.

Have a great time!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do you think there is any point in bring bikes?
Will it be a zoo or hit the trails and clear out of the base for some fun.
So far to drive to be at ground zero of our dirt world and not be able to go for a spin?
I'm bringing them.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're definitely bringing bikes. On the off-chance that we allowed on trail, that would obviously be awesome but I hope it'll also be a great way to get around from site to site at the venue. :thumbsup:

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
There's lots of other trails at MSA (including Le Sentier du Moulin and other challenging stuff) to ride even when the World Cup course is taped off. But there's so many walking spectators for a World Cup that a bike has limited value in getting to spectating points, it's hard to cross the course in many areas with a bike.

It's pretty easy to get between the best spectating places on foot with the course layout

If you're staying around for the Sunday after the XC races you'd likely be able to get on the World Cup XC course.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Dunc said:
Do you think there is any point in bring bikes?
Will it be a zoo or hit the trails and clear out of the base for some fun.
So far to drive to be at ground zero of our dirt world and not be able to go for a spin?
I'm bringing them.
I called about that very question. The answer was that there are tons of other trails to ride at MSA. If you look on their website, they even have lodging/bike rental packages. Some parts of the WC courses might be open to the public at certain times during the week leading to the weekend races, but that's all depending on course conditions and any work the course may need. The WC courses will definitely be a no go the weekend of the big races though.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
You are not going to be on the course during the day week of. But after official training closes you can usually sneak on. There is OK riding at Saint Anne, nothing to phone home about but enough to keep you entertained.

With a bit of research I sure you could find some good riding areas close by.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've been to MSA each year for the last 8 years. There is a bunch of good stuff to ride and you can always get on course after official practice is finished. I've ridden most of the courses in the last half decade.
I would definately bring a bike (or 2) the road riding up there is pretty nice as well

·
Registered
3 Posts
You could always enter the Quebec Cup race this weekend - it's on the same course as the worlds.

I'm on Vacation up here at the moment and I just rode the course today - absolutely awesome! Probaby one of the most fun courses I've even ridden - a lot of extremely technical uphills and downhills - a lot of climbing. It's a tough but fun course. I'd love to be here for the Worlds but back to reality next week.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll be in MSA this weekend! do we need to buy tickets in advance or something for the World Championships? or can we just show off the day of the event? Thanks.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Although I might be way off base, I think you just show up and walk around FOR FREE! :eek:

We leave bright and early Wednesday morning. SO EXCITED!!! :D

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
Very exciting - Catherine Pendrel won the weekend's final World Cup race and the overall! Marie-Helene Premont came in second for the weekend (by four seconds). Fingers crossed for fantastic finishes for Canada next week! The boys need to stay away from those pesky flats...

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anyone have a complete list for Team Canada. I only just found out that Andrew Watson qualified (sorry swabag - my head's been somewhere else :crazy: ). Who else am I going to be vuvuzeling? :confused:

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
The wild card might be Hurricane Earl which is headed up toward NB/NS by Saturday, the margins of error in the 5 day cone of uncertainty prediction starts to get pretty close to Quebec City by Saturday morning. A MTB race at the fringe of a hurricane would likely be quite wet.

I'm taking Goretex with me for sure.

Attachments

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The rubber boots and rain slickers were added to the pile this morning. :eek:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts