Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All you Intense "Works Finish" fans,
Has anybody got an opinion or report on how there "raw works finish" frame is holding up in the U.K. weather so far and any tips on looking after it. Cheers!:D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I take it then that it was starting to look a little rusty or just a bit worn looking? I wonder would a light wire wool rub to the surface of the alu help obviously staying away from the decals. Any suggestions, anyone!:skep:

·
Registered
728 Posts
I can't imagine anywhere worse for wet than winter in North Vancouver. The finish is holding up fine (and this winter has totally sucked). Aluminum does not rust much. It should not be a problem.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers mate,
I can sympathise about the weather! U.K. weather has been **ite! for what seems to be at least 6 months. When this 5.5 arrives i want to be able to enjoy the bike and not be worrying about the finish as i hate the orange stuff! It gives the impression of not caring about your bike. Any opinion on using the light wire wool on removing any of the dreaded stuff. Visited Canada during August, great country, great people, great beer!:D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent! I havn't even got the bike yet and i'm fussing already, hopefully my wife won't mind sharing the bedroom with this new addition to the family! Many thanks for the input keep 'em comin'

·
Registered
136 Posts
It wasn't rust, it was like white patches around the rear of the seat tube just what aluminium does when exposed to the elements. It just happend a bit quicker than normal on that bike i guess. We have a new lorry at work and that has alu side rails. The driver washed it with wheel cleaner and the rails pitted and oxidised slightly ( little white patches). Maybe the stuff he cleaned the frame with did that. Who knows? It looks nice

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It wasn't rust, it was like white patches around the rear of the seat tube just what aluminium does when exposed to the elements. It just happend a bit quicker than normal on that bike i guess. We have a new lorry at work and that has alu side rails. The driver washed it with wheel cleaner and the rails pitted and oxidised slightly ( little white patches). Maybe the stuff he cleaned the frame with did that. Who knows? It looks nice
Thanks mate,
i'm looking forward to the finish on this bike as i think it looks unique and fantastic. The U.K. has had some **ite weather lately, hasn't stopped the pursuit of single track happiness though. I was curious about others suggestions to looking after the "works" finish in the U.K. so thank you again for reply.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:
Well its just like the finish on an old Delorian car. Just Google up Delorian and see how they take care of it. I believe it's a very fine steelwool that does the trick.
De Lorean cars were made from stainless steel.

Iron rusts and the (red) oxide flakes off deteriorating the metal. Aluminium oxide is in fact a protective coating akin to anodizing. The inside of your frame is raw aluminium. Once there is a layer of oxide it inhibits further oxidation. By using steel wool you are going to remove the aluminium oxide and allow it to oxidize further. A raw frame will be fine in the UK. Just wash it and don't mess with it.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ronnie said:
De Lorean cars were made from stainless steel.

Iron rusts and the (red) oxide flakes off deteriorating the metal. Aluminium oxide is in fact a protective coating akin to anodizing. The inside of your frame is raw aluminium. Once there is a layer of oxide it inhibits further oxidation. By using steel wool you are going to remove the aluminium oxide and allow it to oxidize further. A raw frame will be fine in the UK. Just wash it and don't mess with it.

Ronnie.
Sound advice! Thanks Ronnie.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.