Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As posted elsewhere. There are more pictures included here.

Frame: Medium Intense Uzzi Vp Works blue
Fork: 2010 Rockshox Totem Solo Air DH
Rear shock: Elka Stage 5
Bars: Sunline v-one
Stem: Sunline v-one
Grips: Sunline, white
Headset: Chris King No Threadset
Brakes: Avid Elixer R
Rear Shifter: Shimano Saint
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Saint, short cage
Hubs: Chris King ISO, 150x12mm rear
Rims: Mavic Ex721
Tires: WTB Prowler Mx 2.5”
Seat: SDG I-fly, white
Crankset: Shimano SLX, 170mm
Chainguide: Gamut P30, white

Due to having a fractured metacarpal, I haven’t been able to take my uzzi for a proper break in ride; but this is definitely my dream bike. This bike has been 2 ½ months of waiting and over a year of saving funds, so I am ready to get out and ride! What do you think?

Philippians 4:13

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
WOW! That bike is quite simply amazing. When you have the opportunity to really break it in I would be very interested in what you have to say about the Elka Stage 5 shock. I am in the middle of saving funds and buying parts but life has a way of slowing that process down. Anyway, what made you decide on the Elka? I am debating between that and the CCDB. Thanks for your time and I hope you heal up fast and get to ride that beast soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you! I have been back on the bike for about 2 weeks now and in those weeks, I have done some sweet downhilling at our local trails. Okay, so all the rear shocks that I have ridden, 5th element, Fox DHX 5.0 and 4.0, X-fusion (including the shocks on the friends bikes I have borrowed) I have blown out every single one. This has been a bone of contention for me, so when my local shop (Trail Head Cyclery) recommended that I try Elka because they were custom tuned to the rider and bike, I had to go with it. Plus, it's only about $50 more than a RC4, and Fox's rear shocks are too generic and don't offer enough adjustments. Elka custom makes your shock for your bike when you order it. I thought that was rad.
As soon as I felt the suspension on the shop floor, I knew it would be amazing, too. Many compression adjustments can only be felt on the trail (Rockshox, Fox) but when you adjust an Elka on the floor, you will notice the difference. The adjust-ability of this shock is phenomenal. It is only paralleled by Cane Creek and Boss. If this were in Princeton or any Ivy league school, Fox and Rockshox would be in community college. It is that much of a difference. I keep a log of all the adjustments I make, my rear shock has 5mm of preload, 25 clicks of high speed, 32 clicks of lowspeed, and 29 clicks of rebound. That is a MASSIVE adjustment range.
Ridewise, I have taken this bike on close to 10 rides in the last two weeks and got my suspension close to dialed at about the 5th, so over the last 5 rides, I have just been fine tuning it. In Santa Cruz, our trails get rockier, steeper, and more gnarly than Northstar at times, plus we have much bigger gaps. I found this rear shock to be the best tracking rear shock I have ever used. I can set it up to be close to the plushness of a dh bike, yet firm it up to make it more trail/xc status. Its great. With the Uzzi, the bike doesn't just eat rocks if you charge through, you must have some finesse. By picking and jumping through the rock gardens/roots, this bike, and Elka, shine. When taken to flight, the rocks become smooth transitions and the Elka soaks them up beautifully. Braking bumps get tracked well, too. Hands down, this is the BEST rear shock I have ever ridden, not only because of adjust ability, but because of ride quality and downright smoothness, too. I haven't ridden the CCDB, but I trust Elka with my business from her on out. No reserves. I would definitely recommend this shock.
Let me know if you need me to elaborate more on the riding/if you have any specific questions.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
good write up man, I have been trying to choose between two or three different frames to build up (uzzi is one of them) and whatever i get will definately have an elka on it. i had one on my last DH bike and fell in love.

now i wish someone local had a medium uzzi that i could try. i am 6 feet tall and rode a large Slopestyle and transition bottlerocket but have ridden other medium frames that were too small. typically i ride a large in most bikes.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
So you are saying that a custom tuned shock for you and the bike is better than any stock or borrowed shock from other bikes? Why am I not surprised?

And regarding adjustment range: I rather have a shock that I don't feel the adjustments on the showroom floor because with good shocks this means they then are all in a usable range on the trail. ;)

captaingillooley said:
Thank you! I have been back on the bike for about 2 weeks now and in those weeks, I have done some sweet downhilling at our local trails. Okay, so all the rear shocks that I have ridden, 5th element, Fox DHX 5.0 and 4.0, X-fusion (including the shocks on the friends bikes I have borrowed) I have blown out every single one. This has been a bone of contention for me, so when my local shop (Trail Head Cyclery) recommended that I try Elka because they were custom tuned to the rider and bike, I had to go with it. Plus, it's only about $50 more than a RC4, and Fox's rear shocks are too generic and don't offer enough adjustments. Elka custom makes your shock for your bike when you order it. I thought that was rad.
As soon as I felt the suspension on the shop floor, I knew it would be amazing, too. Many compression adjustments can only be felt on the trail (Rockshox, Fox) but when you adjust an Elka on the floor, you will notice the difference. The adjust-ability of this shock is phenomenal. It is only paralleled by Cane Creek and Boss. If this were in Princeton or any Ivy league school, Fox and Rockshox would be in community college. It is that much of a difference. I keep a log of all the adjustments I make, my rear shock has 5mm of preload, 25 clicks of high speed, 32 clicks of lowspeed, and 29 clicks of rebound. That is a MASSIVE adjustment range.
Ridewise, I have taken this bike on close to 10 rides in the last two weeks and got my suspension close to dialed at about the 5th, so over the last 5 rides, I have just been fine tuning it. In Santa Cruz, our trails get rockier, steeper, and more gnarly than Northstar at times, plus we have much bigger gaps. I found this rear shock to be the best tracking rear shock I have ever used. I can set it up to be close to the plushness of a dh bike, yet firm it up to make it more trail/xc status. Its great. With the Uzzi, the bike doesn't just eat rocks if you charge through, you must have some finesse. By picking and jumping through the rock gardens/roots, this bike, and Elka, shine. When taken to flight, the rocks become smooth transitions and the Elka soaks them up beautifully. Braking bumps get tracked well, too. Hands down, this is the BEST rear shock I have ever ridden, not only because of adjust ability, but because of ride quality and downright smoothness, too. I haven't ridden the CCDB, but I trust Elka with my business from her on out. No reserves. I would definitely recommend this shock.
Let me know if you need me to elaborate more on the riding/if you have any specific questions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am trying to keep my shock really smooth right now. All adjustments are starting at fully open.

HSC: Fully open
LSC: 2 clicks
Rebound: 17 clicks
Sag: between 35%-40%
Travel @ 7.5"

That's more of a downhill set up. When I ride trails I bump up the compressions, and sometimes the preload/sag. I'm still messing with those, though. Those adjustments are a work in progress, but my HSC feels perfect fully open.

iRider: I prefer to feel the adjustments on the floor, too. Because that means that the adjustment range is much higher (on and off the trail) than the stock, mass produced products you get from Fox and Rockshox.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.