Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Works 888 vs. 888R, the difference?

I just got an email about the 'handmade' Zocchi fork.

Apparently, its a WORKS 888 fork (like the 888r). They mentioned that the fork has the 2005 internals, which I think is a marketing scheme. Just wondering how much better performing it is when compared to the 888R tuned by yourself.

www.works888.com (Zocchi Works)
The stock Zocchi 888 R

I don't see any justification ponying up $400 USD difference between the Works 888 and the 888 R when you could buy the 888 R and get it tuned by your own hands... What are the advantages/disadvantages/differences between the two forks BESIDES the sticker spaz? :confused:

·
What's this for anyway???
145 Posts
I think it's like saying, what's better an Avalanche that's custom tuned to your weight and riding style or a 5th Element where you tune it yourself and have to purchase aftermarket parts (like a different spring) to make it work specifically for your weight.

It's your call... personally I've got an '03 Monster T and it came out of the box sprung for me and all I had to do was tune it. I wouldn't go and spend the money unless you knew that the 888R wasn't set up for you.

<b>---Matt---</b>

·
Registered
557 Posts
Details...

cali4niabiker said:
I just got an email about the 'handmade' Zocchi fork.

Apparently, its a WORKS 888 fork (like the 888r). They mentioned that the fork has the 2005 internals, which I think is a marketing scheme. Just wondering how much better performing it is when compared to the 888R tuned by yourself.

www.works888.com (Zocchi Works)
The stock Zocchi 888 R

I don't see any justification ponying up $400 USD difference between the Works 888 and the 888 R when you could buy the 888 R and get it tuned by your own hands... What are the advantages/disadvantages/differences between the two forks BESIDES the sticker spaz? :confused:
The differences are in the details.... Little things like the polished bushings (Quicker break in time) and things like oil weight and level, and spring rates are all set according to the info you provide for our techs. Yes, a good mechanic can do most of this, but this can eliminate a lot trial and error and guess work.

Brian

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have a 888R on my Fly. It is a great fork but I can't help but wonder if sending it in for the "Works" will make it even better. I don't know if I should or shouldn't and if it's even worth the 400 or so dollars it costs to do the "Works".

I

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
J_B said:
I have a 888R on my Fly. It is a great fork but I can't help but wonder if sending it in for the "Works" will make it even better. I don't know if I should or shouldn't and if it's even worth the 400 or so dollars it costs to do the "Works".

I
well, if your comfortable with your 888 now, do you really need to put anothor $400 dollars on it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The way it is, it just doesn't smell right, with claims that it "doesn't need a breakin." The internals are most likely going to be same metal for metal due to the costs to make from the manufacturers, and yes, I've been into MTBing for a long time and I know what setting feels good/ feels like nails. As for all new forks, there will be a break-in time required, whether it be a ride of about 2 hours up to 10 hours b-in. Yeah, they could tune it at the factory, which is cool since alot of people don't seem to know how to tune their forks, let alone their rear shocks.

I have a '02 Shiver on my bike and I am passively looking for a lighter upgrade, but considering that FOX is coming out with one that is about the same weight as the boxxer and that I hear that Zocchi is keeping the Shiver for '05, I am probably going to wait to see what Fox has to offer as well as what the '05 Zocchi 888 has to offer. It's a matter of getting the bugs out which, to my experience, takes about 1/2 season of a production run.

I am just going to grab a beer, sit on the couch, and wait to see how it goes with the new Fox DH DC fork and the 888. We'll talk on how it goes once both of them are on the shelves and people have tried them..... :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
the major difference is that it's customized to your riding style and weight. I think it's a pretty good idea, sorta like push and whatnot where you send it in and they tweak it to just the way you want it to do. Even just doing this once would be cool cuz everytime after that when you get a new fork, or your friend does, you know what works :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
J_B said:

I
just get your thrusty bike shop to install the zocchi slow compression upgrade(as posted by go-ride), if you think the 888r is good, this upgrade will make you say "yeah"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts