Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a workout on a step machine would aid in building climbing abilities. I've read the other post where the main consensus was "get out and ride hills" and I do agree but I'm talking about something to do when biking's not an option for whatever reason (weather, bike getting fixed, short on time, etc.). It just seems like the motions of a stepper are somewhat similar to standing and mashing. Am I totally wrong?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think thats a great workout for SSing just be sure to wear a 50lb backpack. Or better yet put some skis on your back and go climb up your local backcountry ski hill in ski boots.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Elliptical machines set to as steep as possible feel kinda close too, but there really is nothing like pedaling up hills.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
yup

I have to agree, there is no substitute for training on the bike. everything else is diminishing returns. you can train the same muscles, but your efforts will be far less efficient. if you are short on time, hop on the bike and grind up a steep hill (how long can that possibly take?) if your bike is in the shop, take a day off. you will have the best results ONLY if you allow you body time to recover. pounding day after day is perhaps worse than not riding at all.

ride hard...rest hard...repeat

Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.