Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
YOU SCRATHED MY BIKE!!!!
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i start Culinary school august 16th so im trying to lose as much weight as possible before than. im weighing 217 but ive always been able to keep up with the skinny guys lol....im looking for an exciting way of working out that doesnt require buying DVD's or a damn home gym:madman: . i know i could do it cause i was 250 last year and then i went down to 185 so im trying to get back to 185 even though i know that wont happen by the time i start school. so any work out regimens that work PLEASE DO TELL :thumbsup:

thx
-carlos

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
check out the clydesdales/tall riders forum here- it's great! do some searches or just browse through it.

here's my summary for any weight loss program/lifestyle:
-eat smaller portions and more frequently (5-6 meals/day)
-eat vegetables and fruits (preferably more veges)
-burn more calories than you're taking in. cardio training (running, biking, etc)- interval training works wonders.

since you've already lost a ton of weight, it sounds like you know what to do. i just lift weights, run/bike, and try to eat right. i don't always eat the best but i try not to get in a funk of poor eating for more than a couple meals- if i do, it snowballs into days/weeks.

good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
You sound like a young guy, which works in your favor. I like the following things for getting in shape:

-Think of it as getting in condition rather than losing weight. This is more of a worry for women (less testosterone + overemphasis on endurance cardio = yo-yo cycle), but you want to lose fat, not just pounds, and if you put on muscle, you may find at first that your weight goes up before it comes off.
-To that end, take tape measurements of yourself rather than just relying on the scale. Waist, hips, thigh, and biceps are a good place to start. If you find yourself heavier, but smaller, you'll know you're putting on muscle.
-I think nutrition is more important than exercise for weight loss, if only because it takes much less time to eat 500 calories than it does to burn it off.
-Experts seems to be split on what is best for exercise, so I just shoot for an hour a day on average of something I like. For me, this usually means power yoga, weightlifting, or biking. Also, don't underestimate sneaky ways of getting in activity. Can you walk or bike to work? Can you park at a further lot and walk the extra blocks? Etc.
-Track everything you eat in a normal day: fitday.com is good for this, and it's free. Be honest, and you'll probably notice what your eating patterns are. If you're like most people, you eat too much fat, carbs, and processed foods and not enough veggies. Tracking it will give you ideas for places you can change out your diet. For example, I found that I tended to go for salty snacks in the late afternoon. Knowing this meant I could make sure I had a healthier snack instead. The idea is not to beat yourself up, but to be aware of what your body is like.
-No soda. Drink water.
-Alcohol is empty calories, so if you can't cut it out completely, limit it. I find soda easy to give up but beer was very hard to limit (I don't drink a lot, but a beer with dinner in the summer is so nice.)
-Eat fewer overly processed foods. Lean meats, veggies, eggs. Low carb is the current trend, but the best judge is how you feel and how you look.

·
YOU SCRATHED MY BIKE!!!!
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx alot guys and as for that tall forum lol im not very tall im only 5'10 so when i was 250 i was BIG lol but i like how i feel at 185 rather than when i was at 170so im staying 185

·
Registered
602 Posts
Eric Z said:
This is the best and simplest advice for a healthy lifestyle anyone can get. Even if you're not trying to lose weight, those are words to live by.

·
Dirt Abuser
829 Posts
Eric Z said:
-burn more calories than you're taking in. cardio training (running, biking, etc)- interval training works wonders.
This is the only way your going to loose weight and keep it off. A lot of people go on a diet, then go back to their bad habbits of over eating and eating junk food. That is why there will always be Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers, it's a racket.

People just need to make sure they burn off the calories that they consume in a day and they will not gain weight. Eat more calories that you burn and you'll gain and vise versa, burn more than you consume and you'll loose.

One of the problems with being in America is the availability of food. It's just about everywhere and it's affordable, especially fast food.

If your hungry between meals, eat an apple or banana or carrot sticks. Then walk on your lunch break at work or walk after dinner. If you make this part of your lifestyle, you'll stay fit and should not gain weight unless your overeating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts